Monday, July 10, 2023

I Wonder--July 10

As we finished our first food distribution on Thursday evening I had such an overwhelming sense of joy and hope. . . but not only for the reasons you might suspect. Let me back up a bit. . . 

I was unable to be present as the distribution began since I had Bible study at the same time. So for the first hour and a half, I taught from the gospel of John and prayed that God would bring our community to the church so we can feed them. 

As I left the class and walked over to the tents where bags of food were being passed out, I wondered how the work was going? I wonder who from our community was coming for food, and I wondered what we were learning as we pass the food out? I wondered how God was calling us to adapt to meet this presenting issue? 

I then took my place in the food-line and began running bags out to the cars that pulled up into our parking lot. 

Over the next 45 minutes I spoke to a lot of people--people that I did not know. People that I had never seen before. Their responses, while diverse, carried a familiar and consistent tone. They were grateful and they offered us a blessing. Many people responded to us with a "God bless you" and/or a "thank you so much." My heart was touched. 

As I walked back to the house with Jennifer, I was reminded of something Lillian Daniel wrote. She said: 

"We had a feeling that there were people in the [community] who has something to teach us."

What a powerful statement! Trusting in people that we do not know to teach us something important--something from God. 

I wonder: Are we willing to listen to what our neighbors were offering to each us? 

That is not only a challenge that we deal with here at Bethesda as we pass out food to our community, but I believe it is a challenge that we should address each day as we meet and encounter our community. 

And so I wonder about you: are you willing to listen to your community? Because they might just have something to teach you too. . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 30

I have spent a lot of time collating, editing, and managing my social media and news feeds on my iPhone. This process has take quite a while...