Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Pastoral Thought--April 28

This has not happened before. . . Let me explain. . . 

Yesterday the newest version of software was available for download onto my iPhone. I try to keep my devices up to date as much as possible to keep them secure and working at their optimal performance level. So I downloaded the new software and installed it. As the download was completing, and the installation progressing, I grabbed my iPad and watched a tutorial video. I wanted to learn about the newest features that Apple created for my iPhone. These features were nothing too extreme or surprising—some in fact I was looking forward to utilizing. But then it happened. . . .

Now Apple has included in their software an application called ’shortcuts.’ This application has been available for a while but I have never used it. Previously I deleted it from my iPhone because it seemed like a waste of space and time. You see, as I considered how I use my device that feature did not seem like something that I felt was valuable. But with this new version of software, and some of the new features that are included, I decided that I would look into it. 

But ’shortcuts' was challenging for me to understand—which has not happened before. I watched several videos on-line to learn how to create these ’shortcuts’ which are designed to simplify the use of the phone. But again it was hard to understand. I spent most quite a bit of time attempting to learn how to use it, and as dinnertime approached, I was only able to create some minor shortcuts. 

Then Emma came home from running an errand at Barnes & Noble. I mentioned to her that I was trying how to learn to use ’shortcuts’ and it was not going well. I assumed she would say something like, “I don’t use it so I don’t know what it is.” This is often her normal response to new technology from Apple. Sadly though that was not the case. Her face lit up and she quickly walked over to me as I sat on the couch and said I use it all the time. 

A bit unnerved by my lack of knowledge, and her ability, I said something like, “well I am trying to create a shortcut to play my favorite podcast and it isn’t working well.” Again, I assumed since she did not listen to podcasts that she would be unable to help. She took my iPhone in hand, and after a few clicks and questions, the shortcut was created. 

I thanked her and smiled as she walked away. But secretly in my heart I thought, ‘wow that has never happened before.’ I have never needed someone else to show me how to use a new piece of technology. But this time I needed help and it felt. . . unnerving. 

For the rest of the evening, and early morning, I was a mixture of emotions. I was happy that Emma helped me but yet felt my ego bruised by a lack of understanding. I enjoyed the feature on my iPhone but wondered about other places in my life where my knowledge was lacking. As I finished my third cup of coffee today, I spent time reflecting on the times in my life when I needed to lean on the understanding and help from another person and I wondered if God was presenting me with a lesson. . . 

What would it look like to lean on the teachings and support of others rather than think that I have all the answers to the problems of my day? 

The issues that we struggle with in our daily lives can be as minor as learning how to use ’shortcuts’ on my iPhone. But they can also be quite complex and much harder to wrap our minds around. I can wonder about how will I live faithfully in the post-pandemic world as much as I can wonder about something much smaller and more personal. What if God is offering you the same choice to consider right now? What if God is asking you, today, to lean upon the wisdom and knowledge of another person, and not feel that this makes your faith ‘less than?’ 

I wonder how that posture and choice might impact your faith and your evangelism? 

Blessings
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 24

In the rush for productivity, we often rush too quickly. . . We rush to be effective and be thorough. But in doing so, we might just miss th...