Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Pastoral Thought--May 19

Last night the time came for action. . . Memorial Day with all its symbolism and meaning also culturally signifies something else that brings joy to many families—the opening of community pools! 

So with Memorial Day weekend only about 10 days away, it was time for action. After dinner I asked the family to help me begin the process of opening the pool. It is a lot of work and so having help will be necessary. I also know that it will take a few days to fully be ready (not to mention I need plenty of time to ‘warm’ the pool up). Off we went into the yard in our bare feet. . . 

First, JonMark and Autumn helped me remove the pool cover carefully. We loosened the clip that holds the tarp onto the surface of the pool and slowly walked it around the pool. It was during this time that I began to get my first inclinations that this was going to be a much longer process of opening than I anticipated. Last year Emma helped me with this work and I remembered how it went. At that time, I wanted Emma to know how to care for the pool so that she would help me in the process. So as she helped me remove the cover in spring of 2020, At that time, the water was still very clear. I felt that the preparations that I made in the fall of 2019 were bearing fruit. 

That conclusion did not apply this time. 

In 2021, the pool water was very dark. It was dirty. I could see many leaves had somehow blown into the pool and were resting at the bottom. Pollen and smaller particulates were sitting on the top of the water unable to be absorbed. Not to worry, I thought, the filtration system will handle this! 

So under Luna’s watchful eye, and while JonMark cooked on the grill, I began the process of re-installing the pool pump and filter system. Power was supplied to the unit and the water began to cycle quickly and smoothly. After a couple hours I noticed that the water was not getting much cleaner. . . "That’s a problem," I said to no one in particular. But again, I can fix that. I inserted our vacuum robot (who we have affectionally named Wall-E) into the pool. For the remainder of the evening, and into this morning, I would head out to the freezing cold pool, empty Wall-E’s basket, and he would begin again. He is an efficient cleaner. 

Progress is very slow, but I am patient. The pool is far too cold to swim in so I have time to clean it properly before balancing the water’s ph and alkalinity properly. 

But I could not escape the theological reflections as I worked either last night or this morning before coming to the church. 

I anticipated that the water would be just as clear as it was last spring when Emma and I opened the pool. I had little doubt that my work of preparation was good enough to satisfy the need to keep the pool clean and clear. Yet, I was wrong. I miscalculated. Something was amiss in my equation out back. . . Was the issue chemical-based, did the tarp have too many micro-holes in it, did the strong winds of the fall and early spring blow too hard and thereby help leaves find their home in my pool? The answer to all of this is: yes. 

Perhaps I was not as attentive as I should have been in the summer of 2020 to the levels of chemicals in my pool? Perhaps I needed a better plan to close the pool? Perhaps it is something else. . . I don’t know. But again the answer is: yes.

You see I can do everything correct to care for my pool or my soul. I can lay out my plans and practices just as I have been taught by individuals who are more knowledgeable than I on the subject. And yet, when the cover over my heart is opened, when my mental exercises need to bear fruit in the public space, I can find green water laying there needing a lot of attention. 

This makes me wonder about the state of our hearts as we continue to transition toward Pentecost and a time of renewal and empowerment by the Holy Spirit. How will you handle these moments and challenges when they are exposed in your life? What steps are necessary, for you, to help clean your heart and your life? 

Blessings
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 24

In the rush for productivity, we often rush too quickly. . . We rush to be effective and be thorough. But in doing so, we might just miss th...