Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Pastoral Thought--May 4

Today I have been thinking about a phrase that I heard recently while working out. The phrase was: The Art of Restraint. While not a new concept for us to consider, being able to restraint oneself is an important skill to master. We can read about in art, in poetry, and even in business. But what about the church, can we consider The Art of Restraint here? 

I encountered the idea of restraint from Peloton trainer Christine D’Ercole. Christine spoke about this idea during a recent on-demand class that I participated in. It was a class that I was hesitant to take initially, yet it was a class that I needed more than I knew as I pushed the ’start’ button. As I clipped into my bike I noticed that the muscles in my calves were sore. My right knee ached as it often does right on the scar where my surgery began. Even as I rode, I felt new pangs of pain rise and fall during the ride. My breathing was sporadic and raspy as I began. This class was a recovery ride, and I needed it more than I knew. 

Overall recovery rides are designed to help the body heal after hard workouts. They are best done on ‘off days’ when the rider needs to increase blood flow to sore muscles and joints but at the same time not overwhelm the nervous system with a demand for performance. From Christine's perspective, recovery rides are just as important as rides where the strain and load that is pressed upon the body is great. As we continued in the ride, with softer music playing, she wondered:  

Can we learn the art of restraint? 

I have the same question in the church. . . .  

For too often we believe (and wrongly so) that the kingdom of God needs us in order to be successful and continue advancing. Social media needs our input or our ‘hot take.’ We have falsely come to believe that because we have an opinion on a topic that it must be shared with everyone in order to do our part as Christians. While there is some degree of merit to this line of thinking, I wonder if we are taking something away from God when we make ourselves the first-mover or first-teacher. 

Many of us have convinced ourselves that we must all things to all people, while at the same time we have to be adaptive and forward thinking in we are going to live faithfully. When we combine the all-inclusive nature of the evangelistic needs of our culture, with the constant pressure and tension of forward-thinking so as to be ready for what’s next, where is the room to just come to God and rest? 

Where is the space to trust that God is indeed at work in a world that seems to spin out of control? 

Where is the space to dwell intimately with God, to recover with God, to heal with God, to trust in God, when you and I have no room in our days for that needed recovery and that restraint? 

Using Christine’s question, Can we learn the art of restraint?  

As I finished my ride, my breathing was slower and my muscles less sore. The tension in my calves was gone—as was some of the pangs that surfaced. Sure, I still worked up some sweat, but I was not out of breath. I was not tired or worn down. My restraint meant that I could walk upstairs, make breakfast, enjoy it on the deck, and not be so tired that I crave a ’screaming’ hot shower to soothe my body. I wonder what that might say for my spirit? 

Consider Christine’s question today as you encounter people who themselves are frantic and hectic. As you do, notice what may happen if you practice the art of restraint for them? 

Blessings
Rev. Derek


No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 24

In the rush for productivity, we often rush too quickly. . . We rush to be effective and be thorough. But in doing so, we might just miss th...