Thursday, January 4, 2024

I Wonder--January 4

One thing that I am not fond of is a New Year's resolutions. For most people these are promises that are not kept. The effort seems to be lacking. Certainly I want to 'do' better, 'be' better every day of my life as I am in Christ. So why wait until January to attempt to do anything about this? Should not our growth as Christians be a constant, consistent matter?  

I wonder if God asks us to continue progressing towards Him and His will in our lives? 

Writer Evelyn Underhill addresses my struggle in this way. She writes:  

"Some people may seem to us to go to God by a moving staircase; where they can assist matters a bit by their own efforts, but much gets done for them, and progress does not cease. Some appear to be whisked past us in a lift; whilst we find ourselves on a steep flight of stairs, with a bend at the top, so that we cannot see how much farther we have to go. But none of this really matters; what matters is the conviction that all are moving towards God, and, in that journey, accompanied, supported, checked, and fed by God."

God asks each of us to practice our faith. He asks us to remember that He is always present and accessible to us--in the good and in the bad. 

Perhaps what Evelyn is talking about resonates in your heart and life? Perhaps the message in 2024 from God might be a reminder that He is there and wants to grow your relationship together. . . Maybe that is a resolution that we could actually keep. 

1 comment:

  1. I think one of the biggest problems with resolutions is that people often choose unrealistic or even unmeasurable goals. We need concrete and realistic goals if making them at all. I don’t do New Year’s resolutions, but I do set goals for myself at various points. Mostly they are small, realistic step from where I am now. As a person of faith, growth is always something to seek as an expression of living out my life of gratitude to God.

    ReplyDelete

I Wonder--April 24

In the rush for productivity, we often rush too quickly. . . We rush to be effective and be thorough. But in doing so, we might just miss th...