Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Wonderings--January 12

Grrrr.... Today has not gone according to plan, and sadly, I think I know why. 

At 6 AM I awoke to find that God had painted our grass white with a gentle frost--a frost that I knew was coming. It was cold outside, but as I stood in the dark yard with Bianca I decided that it wasn't that cold. So as I got ready for work today, and enjoyed my breakfast, a decision was made. . . While a half-a-pot of coffee was brewing that I planned to take to work today, I would take Luna on a morning walk. She and I both enjoy it very much. 

Checking the temperature outside, I grabbed my vest to help stay warm and said the magic words: "Luna is it time for a walk?" 

She jumped. She ran and cried. Meeting me at the back door she 'got dressed' and we ventured into the cold as I began some worship music on my iPhone. 

But like I said, there was a frost out there; it was cold. As I entered the cemetery for our walk, I could feel my ears were getting cold, my nose started to run a bit. I pulled my hands into the sleeves of my sweater to keep them warm and thought 'this is going to be a cold one.' Luna's breath, and my breath, were both visible as we walked together this morning. 

Returning to the parking lot of the church, Luna was still running around happily. She barked at a family pulling to the CDC across the yard and ran to get the nearest stick for me. Yes her breathing was more labored after walking the first of a planned two laps, but she was still happy and eager. But I was cold. I was really cold. 

So I took her back inside the house. Poured my coffee into the travel Yeti that I use, and went to the church to begin my day. The walk was shorter than planned, but hey, it's cold out there. . . Yet, that shortened walk, that 'thing' that I do each day that helps frame my day and create time for prayer and worship, was cut short by nearly 15 minutes. . . As such, the rest of my day would be off. 

My morning reading never connected with me. My session devotional isn't coming together as I expect. My plans for this evening aren't working well. Even my regular office tasks and emails are taking more time and feeling less productive--and I wonder why? 

Perhaps you have done the same thing recently? Forgone part of your morning plans with the Lord when you should have stayed close to God and listened?

If you have joined me in cutting time with God out, I wonder how you might re-create that time today? 

Blessings
Rev. Derek 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 24

In the rush for productivity, we often rush too quickly. . . We rush to be effective and be thorough. But in doing so, we might just miss th...