Thursday, January 13, 2022

Wonderings--January 13

A winter storm is coming. It is coming toward the Eastern part of the country and, according to reports, this storm is going to dump inches of snow and ice from as far north as New England and as far south toward us here in York.

Last week we gathered for worship with masks in place and with social distancing re-introduced in the sanctuary. A plexiglass sheet met me on the pulpit and it seemed like I was watching myself in my reflection as I led worship. I am not at all complaining about these safety precautions. They are necessary and I a thankful that this church takes covid so seriously as to want to keep everyone safe. I continue to rely on this church to help keep each other safe while still working to live faithfully in God's community. 

But because covid cases rose this past week so dramatically in South Carolina, our in-person worship attendance was down. We had about half of what we normally might have. Again, I know why and I agree with the rational. Yet now with this storm bearing down upon us, I wonder about community. 

Again it seems that we will be separated from one another physically this weekend--this time because of weather as it mixes with covid and creates something that divides us. But as it does I want to offer you the words of Wendell Berry. In his essay "Economies and Pleasure" he gives us these words about community and how community works. He writes 

"Community, however, aspires toward stability. It's strives to balance change with constancy. That is why community life places such high value on neighborly love, marital fidelity, local loyalty, the integrity and continuity of family life, respect for the old, instruction of the young. And vital community draws its life, so far as possible, for the local sources. Prefers to solve his problems, for example, by non-monetary exchanges of help, not by buying things." 

 Like you I strive to 'be' the community for another person. I strive to listen, to pray, to be present and pay attention to the gentle nudging of the Holy Spirit as we build community. I seek to notice the mystery that God brings each day to us. But yet, I wonder about how that is being accomplished as we are not able to be close in proximity to one another? 

As I meditate on Berry's words, I find my mind drifting around ways that I can foster 'exchanges of help' in my daily life? 

Perhaps that is the great gift that God is bringing to us in this pending storm? The chance to help other another and by helping we build community in a time of struggle. . . 

Blessings

Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 24

In the rush for productivity, we often rush too quickly. . . We rush to be effective and be thorough. But in doing so, we might just miss th...