Thursday, September 15, 2022

Wonderings--September 15

This week has flown by for me. As the church calendar fills, and events begin again in earnest, and plans are discerned and implemented, I have been quite busy--and at the same time, quite blessed. 

I have shared meals with church members and listened to others share their needs. This week I have prayed with the sick and supported individuals who are still working through their own grief and sadness. I have laughed with folks and learned from them. And although I awoke today quite early because our dog wanted attention, and a bowl of water, my spirit feels free and unhindered. . . I believe this is because of the friendships of the church of Jesus Christ. 

As I think about friendship and how we might define it, I thought of something I read from Henri Nouwen on the subject not long ago. Nouwen famously wrote these words for us: 

"Friendship is one of the greatest gifts a human being can receive. It is a bond beyond common goals, common interests, or common histories. It is a bond stronger than [any] union can create, deeper than a shared fate can solidify, and even more intimate than the bonds of marriage or community. Friendship is being with the other in joy and sorrow, even when we cannot increase the joy or decrease the sorrow. It is a unity of souls that gives nobility and sincerity to love. Friendship makes all of life shine brightly. Blessed are those who lay down their lives for their friends."

At church the friendship of the Body of Christ does so much more than we realize; it accomplishes God's will just by existing and 'being with' others. The friendship of the church is hard to quantify, but each of us knows and time and a moment when the friendship of the church has been just what we needed. 

I wonder today if you can feel the friendship of the church? I wonder how it has healed and helped you? And I wonder if you are called to share that friendship with someone new as well? 

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 24

In the rush for productivity, we often rush too quickly. . . We rush to be effective and be thorough. But in doing so, we might just miss th...