Monday, June 5, 2023

I Wonder--June 5

Finally back to work after a week of vacation and I feel rested and recharged. This time out of the pulpit was more of a 'stay-cation'--and I loved it. Turns out I needed to 'stay' and not go. 

JonMark and Autumn left Tuesday morning before breakfast, and as Jennifer backed out of the carport, I began to wonder how I would fill my days without going to the office or considering a Bible passage for Sunday morning? 

I wondered what to do next. . . 

Well that wondering didn't last long as Flynn came bounding into the room announcing, as he does so silently, that it was time to go outside. He sat by the door and looked up at me as I slipped on my flip-flops. Like all puppies, Flynn behaved as you might expect. He did what needed to be done but not before picking up every twig, branch, and leave that got in his way which leaping and prancing around. 

As he and I went back inside I told him, "Flynn let's read." I hoped to complete a new book that I bought this week. So I slid back my recliner and tired to start; but Flynn would have none of it. 

By Thursday I was able to read about 20 pages of the book with Flynn wanting my attention. But something was nagging at my heart. Something was back there that I heard. Sighing I stood up, called Emma to come take Flynn, and headed to the shed. 

There in the corner sat my father's blue golf bag. Since he passed away I have not touched a golf ball except to roll my foot over it to help with a sore plantar tendon from time to time. Today was going to different. I took out his pitching wedge, filled my cargo shorts with around 8 balls, and walked into the yard. 

Over the next few minutes I poorly pitched golf balls across our wide yard while Nala and Flynn (who by now have joined me) chased them. With each stroke I noticed how much I miss playing golf with my dad. 

In the book, Life in the Five Sense, Gretchen Rubin writes this: 

"One of my most important realizations was that we can build a happy life only on the foundation of self-knowledge." 

In my golf story that is true. The memories flooded back as I thought about my time with dad playing golf. My self-knowledge grew in many ways as well as I thought back to our time together. 

But Gretchen's point does not only relate to golf or some other activity. Her point can be true in our spiritual walks as well. There is always something foundational, something that you remember, something that you were taught that helps you learn more about yourself and about God. 

I wonder what that thing might be today? I wonder how learning about that foundation might help you deepen your love and faith in the Lord and how that self-learning might help you in your community? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 30

I have spent a lot of time collating, editing, and managing my social media and news feeds on my iPhone. This process has take quite a while...