Wednesday, July 10, 2024

I Wonder--July 10

A couple weeks ago I preached from a text in Mark's gospel. The story was about Jesus calming the storm.

We all know the story as it has been taught to us since we were children. . . Jesus asleep in the boat awakens to calm the storm and save the frightened disciples from near certain death (at least that was their perspective as the evening cruise began). But I have continued thinking and considering this text since I preached about it. Mark:4:35-41 has resurfaced in a number of times for me and my learning continues. 

Today as I continue thinking about this text, I am reminded of the words of Alexander McLaren who said the following as he reflected upon it: 

"Jesus sleeps on: but He will wake up before it sinks. He sleeps on, but He never oversleeps; and there are no "too lates" with Him."

I like that idea a lot. . . The idea that Jesus does not oversleep when the storm threatens the boat. I like my Jesus to be vigilant. Alert. Present. Ready at a moment's notice even when I am not sure in my own life that I can see the path forward. 

For when I read the news or spend time on social media I witness the response of a community who is anxious by what they see. They seem afraid and upset either because of the direction our world is taking or because of the direction the world will take soon. 

In fact very few responses to what is being observed in this world sounds like: "Well we have to trust God to take care of us as God always has." 

Now I also know that tension and anxiety sell. I know click-bait earns advertising dollars and it helps garner followers. This is also a sad, yet true, commentary of society. 

But I wonder has Jesus ever overslept? 

Or, does the Lord always quiet the storm at the exact moment when the storm threatens the boat and everyone in that boat? I am not apathetic to the struggles and challenges this world and community face. Instead what would does it look like to return our faith back to the place where it needs to be and return our focus to the Lord who dwells in our midst, return to His Word, and trust Him? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--July 30

Last night I tried a new experiment that I want to reflect with you upon.  Over the years, and because of our love of dogs, Jennifer and I h...