Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Pastoral Thought--September 15

What a beautiful morning God gave us today! The beauty of the blue sky, when combined with the wet grass that Luna ran through as she ran to chase her stick with water spraying behind her, and the crispness of the air combined to make me feel very blessed today. I enjoyed taking an ‘extra’ lap around the church just so that I could enjoy today a little bit more. But as I walked I was in two mental places. . . The first was happiness as Luna ‘huffed’ and ‘grunted’ while chasing her stick. It was not going to get away from her! She was in doggie-heaven as we walked in the yard. 


The second, which is the subject of this post was considering a hidden aspect of our lives that, at times, has worn us out. It is something that we all struggle with—even if we don’t like it or don’t want to admit it to anyone else. I was thinking about decision fatigue and wondering how it impacts the daily life of the church and its ministry? 

Some of us are good at making decisions. It is part of who we are. Present us with a problem, and we pause, we think, and decide. But covid, and the uncertainty that has come along with it, has made those decisions much more multifaceted. Whether we like it or not, the simplest decisions now require a level of thinking and planning ahead before we proceed that is abnormal to our tradition. 

For example, do I take my mask with me today when I come into the office? Ann isn’t in today, so I might be there alone. But CNS is in the building. However, I have little or no interaction with them because of covid; my door stays closed a lot now. But what if a staff member needs to talk or needs something from the church? What if I meet a parent in the parking lot on my way over, shouldn’t I model the expected behavior of this time and have my mask on even though I am alone? 

What is someone stops by to talk? I will need the mask. Do I then ask them to wear theirs? What if they forgot it? What if its a "spur of the moment” choice to come to the church and seek the pastor out? Should I send them away? 

How do I advise JonMark if he needs to come pick something up from me at the office? He is at home. I live at home wit him so there is no need for the mask for him. But again, CNS? What do I do? 

What was simple a few months ago, walking to the church, has become complex and along with the complexity comes an element of decision fatigue. 

(Don't worry my mask is always with me. And if I forget it accidentally, or it breaks, I have a box of them at the church to fall back upon or some stashed in my truck in a bag.)

So what is the Christian response to decision fatigue? 

I think that we need a degree of empathy when we confront the people around us as they too might be as tired as we are with making decisions in a covid-world. That individual, who you might normally want to judge, might be just as tired and worn down by the decisions that they are asked to make each day, as you are. I think that Jess Lair’s definition of empathy helps us see how this practice can be necessary—and even helpful. 

He writes: “Empathy—your pain in my heart.”  

I encourage you to extend them, and yourself, a degree of empathy today. We are all worn down by these decisions, and we don’t want to make them anymore. We are tired of covid and what it requires of us. But as part of the body of Christ, we have the answer to this slight momentary affiliation, and it is an answer grounded in presence and empathy. Their pain can touch our hearts. And as it touches our hearts, we can find that we are together in this struggle. 

Blessings,
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 24

In the rush for productivity, we often rush too quickly. . . We rush to be effective and be thorough. But in doing so, we might just miss th...