Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Pastoral Thought--September 23

As I am writing this article, I am sitting in my truck waiting. . . This is not a comfortable “wait” as the seat has been adjusted to an uncomfortable position relative to the slope of the parking lot I’m in. But here I wait. . . Emma is taking her knowledge test this morning so that she can begin learning to drive. 

As COVID is a daily issue that we confront, only 1 person per group is allowed in the building so, she is in there. I wait out here hoping all is well. I cannot see her. I cannot check on her. Again, and so I wait. And I am getting anxious as more people come out and Emma isn’t one of them (but that’s another story). Per COVID, we also must line up, 6 feet apart, outside of the building. Then the gentleman who is working the door works the line… “Whose here for a license pic?” he asked. “Who needs to transfer a tag?” Why are you here is his basic question and he does his job quickly and effectively. He takes Emma and I and puts us in a different spot to wait. 

Like I said, he’s doing a great job of managing expectations and issues this morning that people bring to him. When someone tries to, accidentally, jump the line, he’s there to guide them firmly and kindly back to where they need to be and the process continues. 

The line is growing again... and I still can’t see Emma. While I am wait and watching, I begin noticing the casual, mundane-ness of what’s happening on the sidewalk . . . This occupies my attention for a few moments. There are parents loving babies. People checking their paperwork over to make sure nothing was forgotten or left out. I see a gentlemen taking on the phone and I wonder if he is ‘working.'  Even people whose arms are on their hips in ‘projected’ frustration and impatience, catch my eye  (this is the dmv and they don’t always go fast here so what did you expect). It’s all orderly and normal and I am grateful. 

Dr Craig Barnes, the president of Princeton Seminary, wrote: 

After wasting far too many years trying to accomplish something impressive, [we] eventually discover that God prefers routine days of service. And that’s when [we] start enjoying their work. God created routine and loves to watch it unfold over and over again. Creation gives praise to God by doing the same things over and over. Winter, spring, summer, fall—praise God from whom all blessings flow. The challenge is seeing the blessings that flow onto all of the things we dare to call ordinary and routine.”

Emma will be along soon. . . I wonder what ordinary thing you will have the chance to see God at work in this morning? And when you do, will your first choice be gratitude??

Blessings 
Rev. Derek


No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 24

In the rush for productivity, we often rush too quickly. . . We rush to be effective and be thorough. But in doing so, we might just miss th...