Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Pastoral Thought--November 11

As I was walking to the church today, I took a quiet moment while the rain fell on me to think of those whose sacrifice and work ensured my freedoms. . . 


I thought of my maternal grandfather, Len, and his wife Carol. I remembered Carols’ first husband, Bud, who died serving our country and is buried in Europe with his brothers from the service. I remembered my Uncle Gregg who served faithfully in the Air Force and his son, Kris, who also serves our country now. The longer I reflected, I remembered another cousin, Kurt, who if memory serves, was in the Army. I thanked God for the service of Tovah and her husband Phillip, pilots in the Air Force. They are the daughter and son-in-law of my Aunt Elaine.  

The more I thought of them, and their service, the more I could feel a tug on my heart. . . it was a mixture of pride and love.

I smiled when I thought of my paternal grandfather, Frank, and his brothers who were so outraged at the Nazi’s that they felt ‘compelled’ as immigrants to serve in the military. How dare anyone threaten the US! That was the sentiment of these Italian immigrants and they would not stand by without joining the service. I remembered Frank’s daughter Linda who enlisted in the Navy, and I was grateful for each of them. 

Whether I am close with these family members, whether I have met them or not, I am truly grateful for what they did for our country. Wartime. Peacetime it does matter to me. They were willing and I am grateful.  

By this point, I arrived at my desk. . . I looked at the picture on my desk of my children and I thought of my own son, JonMark, who studies to become a nurse in the Army. My eyes filled with tears knowing that serving our country has always been his dream. Since he was a little boy, JonMark never wanted to be a football player, or a astronaut, or even president. No, JonMark always, and defiantly, said, “I’m going to be an Army man.” And as he prepares to move onto campus for the spring semester at Edinboro, and join up with his ROTC family to continue that dream, I know that he will excel. Jennifer and I are both immensely proud of him.

I also think of the families of those who supported the Veterans of this family. They were willing to be separated from each other. They were willing to risk losing each other. They were willing to go wherever our country sent them in the name of Freedom. Together they grant me the right and privilege to sit in my office and write to you about how I feel as I remember. Today is the day that we must pause and be thankful for their service. Each of us should find some time in a world of polarizing opinions and outrage to thank those who served our country. Whether they are in our family, in our church (and I know that Plains has many veterans who served our country), or in our neighborhoods, find the space today to thank them because you are free. 

I want to end with the words of General Omar N. Bradley. He said:

Freedom—no word was ever spoken that has held out greater hope, demanded greater sacrifice, needed to be nurtured, blessed more the giver. . . or came closer to being God’s will on earth." 

I wonder if today, you can find a moment to thank those who have served our country? Thank someone whose willingness allows you the freedom to gather in worship, to share God’s love, and minister in God’s name.

Blessings
Rev. Derek


1 comment:

I Wonder--April 24

In the rush for productivity, we often rush too quickly. . . We rush to be effective and be thorough. But in doing so, we might just miss th...