Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Pastoral Thought--November 4

A few days ago, I decided to go for a “recovery run.” My legs were tired from the previous few days of working out, and I felt that a short, easy run would be helpful. So off I went. . . 

It was nice, sunny morning for a run—not too cool and not too breezy. As I was taught to do, I run facing traffic. This way, I can get a good look at who is planning to run me over. But again, this was a recovery run. It was easy and the pace was gentle. I was relaxed and at peace. The music that I was listening to was a combination of The Beach Boys and Hawaiian music. The instructor talked about gently walking and running on the Hawaiian beach. . . 

I selected a time of day to run when I felt that not a lot of people would be on the road (early in the morning). I was pleasantly surprised that my usual running/walking company of plumbers, electricians, and builders who are heading to work in the new development near Plains were absent. It was going to be a quiet morning. But then I had an interesting experience that I want to share with you. An older gentleman can down the road toward me in his car, and then, about 15 yards in front of me, he veered across the road away from me violently. He corrected his driving and continued on. . . I was not upset at all. I did think, ‘well that seemed a bit excessive.' 

Then a woman in a white SUV did the same thing. . . get close. . . veer away. 

It happened again with a burgundy truck. They got close. . . then steered violently away from me. 

This would happen a total of 6 times while I ran. At no point was there any traffic coming from the opposite direction that made this action necessary (I looked). Also at no time on the run was I out the line of sight for on-coming traffic. I could see each vehicle from a great distance away, and they presumably, could see me. The angle of the sun was not in their eyes where I was running. I found the rhythm of the drive getting too close, veering away, and then steering back interesting to me, and it made me ask a question: 

Why do we wait until the very last moment to make a choice? And then, when we make that choice, it’s a quick, violent, action rather than a smooth, gentle transition. . .

Today is the morning after the election. As of now a winner has not been declared—although both sides are claiming victory as they are also threatening to go to court. I wonder what are response as the church might look like now in this world? We know that as the church we have an interesting opportunity to care for the anxious community in which we live and work. We know that the results of today would be in dispute. People would become angry. They would need someone to talk to; someone who would listen without judgment or justification to their fears and concerns. Were we not prepared to be the church in a world that needs us? 

I think of Jesus’ words in the gospel of John when I think more about this. In John 14, Christ said:

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. 
I do not give to you as the world gives. 
Do not let your hearts be troubled, 
and do not let them be afraid.” 

Regardless of the news network that I watch and read, there is little, if any, peace offered. Everybody is upset. And that, is the place here we can live as Jesus lived with us. I wonder if as the church, we are called to speak to that, to live into it? I wonder, if when we see the people veering and living erratically, as I saw during my run, if we are called to love. . to listen. . . and to be present with them just as Jesus was present for us? 

Blessings
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 24

In the rush for productivity, we often rush too quickly. . . We rush to be effective and be thorough. But in doing so, we might just miss th...