Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Pastoral Thought--November 3

By now I hope that you had a chance to read my pastoral thought about the election. This is an important time in our country. It is a time when we not only don’t agree but some are happy to state this conclusion. I have cast my vote already and I hope that you are safely casting yours. I also hope that you spent time in prayer asking God to be with us. I hope you pray for both Biden and Trump. 

To follow up that idea, I want to offer you the words of a friend of mine, Rev. Dr. Graham Standish. I find Graham’s work to be transformational for me the more time I spend with God’s word. In his book, Ministry Proverbs: Lessons Learned from Leading Congregations, he wrote these helpful words: 

"People eventually become how we treat them to be. If we treat them as failures, they will fail. If we treat them as beloved, they will love. Churches are no different. When leaders treat them as failures, they fail. But when leaders love them, they become loving.” 

I think that Graham’s conclusion extends outside of the church and into the local context and culture in which we live. In our polarizing world the opportunity presents itself for the church to love and care for all of the local community—not just the people we agree with. As the youth of our church taught us this past weekend, this idea is especially necessary when we do not agree. When we would rather yell or fight instead of sit, listen, and a practice being with, a change needs to be made in order for us to grow. Perhaps, as Graham suggests, the change can begin when we notice how we treat other people. Then after we become aware of how we treat others, we can begin to treat them as God treated us. 

Do we love them? 
Do we care about them? 
Are we interested in being with them?

Each of these questions should draw us into a posture of reflection, and as we reflect, we can notice what our answers say about whether we love the community, and people that we do not agree with, or not. 

I imagine that today’s results are going to take some time to process. I suspect that we will also witness a great deal of ‘hand wringing’ on the news and in commentaries. We will be presented with extreme scenarios and horrible implications of today’s election. And so, when that happens, and we know that it will, I wonder will be loving? Will we treat people with the love of God that God gave to us? Will we label them as Graham suggests, as beloved instead of as failures? I hope so. . . 

Because Jesus is still the Lord over all creation, and He still will be. 

Blessings
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 24

In the rush for productivity, we often rush too quickly. . . We rush to be effective and be thorough. But in doing so, we might just miss th...