Monday, March 22, 2021

Pastoral Thought--March 22

Today I had another wonderful opportunity to read a bible story to the children at CNS. For five classes we sat together for an ‘Easter’ story. For everyone was excited to see the Easter bunny’s work and be with their families, but not one of them was familiar with this part of the story—or at least they didn’t think they were. Today’s story was about Joseph of Arimathea and talked about his role in Jesus’ death. . .

As you know Joseph is the person who provided the tomb of Jesus following his death on the cross. We know that it was Joseph who asked Pilate for the body of Jesus so that he could perform the Jewish rites of purification and burial before the Sabbath began. Tradition tells us that Joseph and Nicodemus undertook this work as part of their on-going relationship with Jesus. They, like we, believed that he was the Messiah. So this became their final act of caring for Jesus. 

Of course the story has a happy ending. . . But what I want to share with you is how the children at CNS responded to the story. 

They sat curious as I showed them a picture of a man carving out a cave (tomb) as was tradition. They wondered who he was. They wondered why was he spending his time in a cave carving it out. When I showed the picture of Joseph and his friends watching Jesus die on the cross, the children became quieter and a bit sadder. This is story that they knew. The children commented on a tear that fell from the eye of a character who they said looked sad. The usually curious children and passionate children sat still as the great stone was rolled across the opening of the tomb and as Pilate posted guards. 

And of course they were happy because three days later Jesus left that cave for us! 

But it was how they listened that I am sharing with you. They heard a familiar story of Jesus’ death and resurrection through new ears. They knew the story I am sure. After I was done they said as much. If I asked them to talk about how Jesus died I believe that they could get the essential parts of the story clearly articulated. But when I said, “Who was Joseph of Arimathea?” They did not know. 

I wonder what might happen in your life when you stop to listen to God’s story, from someone who you least expect? I wonder what revelation God might be providing for you if you, like the children of CNS, listen with new ears? 

Blessings
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 30

I have spent a lot of time collating, editing, and managing my social media and news feeds on my iPhone. This process has take quite a while...