Thursday, March 4, 2021

Pastoral Thought--March 4

This afternoon I had the opportunity to work with a family. We met under less than ideal conditions. Without going into detail I will only say that they are suffering and I was called in to help. As a pastor this is a call that comes from time to time. The entire encounter went smoothly. As a matter of fact, it went exactly how I imagined that it would go as I entered their presence. I have walked down this pathway before with other families and am sure that I will be asked to do so with other families in the future. 

The rhythms of the meeting are the same. and the conversations feel very familiar. 

They said what I expected them to say, and I said what they expected me to say. Back and forth this dance went for entirety of my time with this family.  

Toward the end of my time with them, I began to speak with a new individual who I did not have the opportunity to speak with until that moment. Before today we had not met. I introduced myself. She introduced herself. Then, as often happens, we began some small talk. We talked about her family, her children, and her work. . . 

I listened. . . She spoke. . . I commented slightly on the subject matter. From time to time I would ask a question about something that I did not understand fully, and she would elaborate in detail. Throughout our time together, I said very little that I bet you would not have said if you were in my position. This encounter was a blessing and I was happy to be called in.  

I listened. . . And gave her room to speak. 

As I left the appointment I was reminded of the words of John of the Cross. He once wrote: 

"It is great wisdom to know how to be silent and to look at neither the remarks, nor the deeds, or the lives of others." 

Like I said, you have had this encounter also. You may not meet the individual in a setting that you would define or label as “sacred,” but that does not necessarily matter. God is there. You are there. And that person, the one who has the great need, is also there. What would it look like, or how might the meeting take shape, if you followed John’s "words of wisdom?” I wonder what would happen if you just listened? 

I have watched you do it before in the life of this church. . . I wonder what will happen if you do it out in the community? 

Blessings
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 30

I have spent a lot of time collating, editing, and managing my social media and news feeds on my iPhone. This process has take quite a while...