Thursday, April 14, 2022

Wonderings--April 14

Today is an important day in the life of Jesus' church. While we are happy to join together this evening for worship, there is in the air a sense of sadness present. We greet another in love and friendship at the door as we come into the worship space, yet we will leave with our heads down and our hearts heavy. Silence will replace normal conversation. Darkness instead of light. 

The sanctuary looks different today. Darker. The table will be covered in black tonight and the Word will be carried out of the worship space dramatically. One of my theological professors reminded me that the liturgical color for today is not purple or white (as it has been in throughout Lent). Today we are gray for the church has lost her hope--for now. 

We are a church who mourns because her bride, her hope, her savior and teacher, the one who called her by name, has been taken away, and for now, we do not know what we shall do. We do not know how to be. 

Certainly we know that in a few days we will sing that "Christ the Lord is Risen Today," but today let us not rush to those words. I wonder if you could just sit. . . just be? Think about that for a moment with me. . . just being. . . 

As I wrote those words 2 individuals came into the office here at the church. I needed to speak with both of them so I was glad to see them. We had some final plans to solidify for this weekend. Then my iPhone chirped to remind me to call my doctor for a refill for one of my medications associated with my knee. Next, I forgot to tell Pat about a change to the bulletin so that needed to be reconciled. . . . Just 'be,' huh, not likely. But God wonder if we could. 

From my perspective the most important part of Maundy Thursday is our willingness to witness to what is happening in the life of Jesus Christ. I know the story and you know it. We have taught it to our children and heard it preached many time in the pulpit. But today God wonders if we can just 'be' with the story and witness it? 

I encourage you to find some space, some time, a moment even, and dwell with God. Allow the power of what he is doing on this night to touch your soul, and as it does, ask him what you should do with that touch. . . 

Blessings
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 30

I have spent a lot of time collating, editing, and managing my social media and news feeds on my iPhone. This process has take quite a while...