Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Wonderings--April 19

One of the hardest things to consider and contemplate upon is the church following Resurrection Sunday. After Easter we begin to wonder: now what?  

For six weeks we have been preparing, praying, and anticipating the joyful worship services that we will participate in on Resurrection Sunday. Breakfasts are planned. Music rehearsed and fine-tuned. Flowers purchased and arranged in the worship space and out front of the church. Worship Committees, in union with their pastors, have planned and prayed through worship practices for Holy Week. We have hoped that everything we planned is done so in accordance with God's will. 

Everything is as ready as possible. . . . 

At Bethesda, we gathered in the gray fog to begin worshipping the resurrected Messiah at 7am on Easter morning. As families placed their flowers on the cross in front of the church, we could feel the spiritual anticipation building. There was a murmur in the congregation as we gathered. 

Then as quickly as the service began, and breakfast was served, we fell back into the realm of 'now what.' . . . 

After Easter, we are left thinking about the war in Ukraine that seems to tell us more and more horrible, tragic stories each day.  I sigh each time I open an article on-line about the war knowing that what I will read is tragic and painful and it feels unnecessary and downright evil. I know I will pray about it, but yet I still feel hopeless, and I look for God around me. 

After Easter, we are left thinking about rising gas prices and an increase in inflation. While we are ready for covid to finally become a distant memory, and mask to be put away. Yet that has not happened yet either. . . and I wonder if it ever will. I read about the midterm elections and we can feel the 'fight' growing around us by both parties as they grasp at power to further their agendas in Washington DC.  

After Easter, I wonder how are we going to re-engage the God who came from the Tomb for us? I wonder if we feel it is even possible to dwell with Him? 

With this in mind, I read the words of Archbishop Desmond Tutu as part of my morning devotions. At the conclusion of what I reading I found the following prayer that I now share with you. I imagine that after Easter you have felt the same pain, confusion, and questions rising in your heart. If so, perhaps this prayer can be something that you pray to our Lord: 

"Dear Child of God, it is often difficult for us to recognize the presence of God in our lives and in our world. In the clamor of the tragedy that fills the headlines we forget about the majesty that is present all around us. We feel vulnerable and often helpless. . . . But we are not helpless and with God’s love we are ultimately invincible. Our God does not forget those who are suffering and oppressed."

Archbishop Tutu's words are true and they should ring in our ear for I know each of us deals with these same concerns and fears. Yet we have God's love to lean back up. We have God's love to help us serve and live faithfully. Today I wonder if you could take some time and read and re-read that prayer. Maybe God will use it to help you as you consider what happens next after Easter. . .  

Blessings
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 30

I have spent a lot of time collating, editing, and managing my social media and news feeds on my iPhone. This process has take quite a while...