Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Wonderings--July 13

I wonder how you handle a day that didn't start off on the best foot? 

You didn't spill coffee on yourself, or miss the bus, or anything drastic like that. . . Instead you feel a half a step behind? Cloudy? Unable to fully get life and faith moving together in the correct direction.  

Today I feel that way a bit and I have struggled through the day. I woke up with a bit of a headache and have not been able to shake it all day. Advil, coffee, a hot shower, and a good breakfast have been unable to get me moving in the right way. 

My morning devotions, while uplifting has not helped shake of the mental dust that is talking me. I even had an early meeting with a saint of the church, but the joy of that faded soon after it was done and here I sit wondering how am I going to make it through the day? And as I write these words I suspect you know exactly who I feel. . . 

If so, then I offer you the words of Frederick Beuchner and the reflection that comes from him. He wrote: 

"Go where your best prayers take you."

As my day has not 'improved' yet, and as I have another meeting about to start, that statement has been in my heart and mind.  

What does it mean 'my best prayer?' Today I don't feel like I have a good prayer ready or God to hear it? My words fail. My heart is not in the prayers I offer. But perhaps that is the point of God reminding me of Beuchner's words. 

Perhaps perfection and fully-articulated prayers are unnecessary when life begins to push down upon you. Perhaps you and I do not need to stave to have the best Christian response to a day that frustrating and mentally-hazy. Perhaps the solution God is asking you to find is just: offer me your best prayer. 

I wonder what that prayer would sound like? What would it mean? How would you say it? Would you speak or be still? And further I wonder how God might be at work in that moment? 

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 24

In the rush for productivity, we often rush too quickly. . . We rush to be effective and be thorough. But in doing so, we might just miss th...