Thursday, January 5, 2023

I wonder--January 5

I am getting ready this morning to go on a short walk with a friend. While we have not walked together before, Ms. Bert came today and asked me if I had already walked this morning. I told her not yet . . . She smiled and said, 'well we're walking after circle then,' and I happily agreed.  

So off after her meeting, we went. . . Ms. Bert and I. 

The warmth of the sun felt good on my face and the coolness of the breeze was perfect. I love to walk out in God's creation. And with such a perfect morning to walk together, Bert and I had a wonderful time walking a mile around the Bethesda Cemetery. We talked about a lot of things. 

We spoke about family--both our personal families and our church family.

We shared thoughts about life and grieving. We have both experienced the pain of loss so we talked about it some. 

We even ventured into some reflections on the state of our world and our inability to work together to accomplish even the most basic things. Neither of us could figure out why we can't seem to follow a communal mission in this world. 

Around and around Bert and I walked until we completed our 1-mile circuit in about 25 minutes. Then we headed our own separate ways and I felt blessed to have a friend to walk with on this cool Thursday morning

But as I sit her know I am thinking about the words that I read from Jean Vanier earlier today as I prepared for Bible study. He said: 

I am struck by how sharing our weakness and difficulties is more nourishing to others than sharing our qualities and successes.”

Neither Bert or I aimed to follow Vanier's guidance from above. We just allowed God to walk with us; to guide us and our conversation. As we let God lead us onward, we were able to share deeply from our souls and God was with us in this. 

So I wonder today, what would happen in your life if you took Vanier's words to heart? When we share our struggles more freely we find space and identification with other people. Perhaps in that sharing we even find God? 

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 30

I have spent a lot of time collating, editing, and managing my social media and news feeds on my iPhone. This process has take quite a while...