Monday, August 21, 2023

I Wonder--August 21

I am a lectionary preacher; it is how I was taught in seminary. I read the daily lectionary often and I use it for devotions in some of the meetings in which I lead. I find its rhythms and cycle help carry me through the scriptures in a specific way. 

But I am not the only person of faith to have a 'lectionary' that they follow. This year, on October 7, members of the Jewish faith will gather together for Simchat Torah. 

This is the day when the cycle of Torah readings come to its end, and the new cycle, for the new year, begins again. On that day, the scrolls of the Torah will be paraded around the perimeter of the worship space to cheers and singing and even. . . dancing. Seven times this will take place. And then, as quickly and passionately as the celebrating started, the celebration will end. 

The scroll will be placed back where it belongs before the congregation. Folks will return to their seats--usually winded and place their prayer shawls back into place. Then the worship service will continue in its normal flow. 

Once, at the close of the dancing and singing, a rabbi stepped forward at the end of the parade I just described. He adjusted the microphone and said to the church:

"You know, sometimes those of us who are here every week get so used to things that we forget how important they are."

I wonder, what spiritual practice, what act of devotion, do you engage in and yet you can forget how important they are? How transformational they are? How needed they are in your life? 

Perhaps take a moment today and notice . . . and as you notice, maybe try a little singing to the Lord. . .  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 30

I have spent a lot of time collating, editing, and managing my social media and news feeds on my iPhone. This process has take quite a while...