Saturday, August 1, 2020

Pastoral Thought--August 1

We have spent the week reflecting on moments of joy and how to apply them. . . Let’s end the week with a story.

Last evening, Jennifer, Emma, my mother, and I went to Brusters for some ice cream (ice cream someone else pays for is so tasty). While we were in line, I witnessed the scene that this “thought” revolves around: 

In front of us was a family with three boys all under the age of 10 (I think). I saw one of the boys receive his cone from the server. The scoop was the size of a baseball! The bright orange color gave it away instantly—orange sherbet. He licked it once, and then predictably, it fell to the ground in a 'splat.’ He looked up, but at no one in particular, and said, ‘my ice cream fell.’ He didn’t cry. He didn’t whine. He didn’t make a scene (as I bet you thought he might). Instead, he began to lick what was left of the orange sherbet quietly and bit the cone in resignation. His mother notices the accident and grabs a napkin and puts the ice cream in the trash. Neither mother or father said anything about it. They didn’t yell or scold him. They just walked away as a family and took up a spot on an embankment near their SUV to finish their treat. Again, he didn’t protest or complain. . . He dropped it and it was gone. 

Our turn came, and we ordered and laughed. We spoke to the server who we knew and had a nice chat with him. We debated about the best flavor of ice cream and which coupon worked the best (oh and the best flavor is mint chocolate chip if you were curious). Then we took our order and walked back to my truck which was across from this family’s SUV. As I opened the door, this happened next. . . 

But let’s back up again. . . When we were ordering our ice cream there was a gentleman in khakis with a black polo shirt on next to us. He was by himself ordering. No family. No kids. He didn’t even look at us and seemed like a bit of curmudgeon (if its okay to judge some who I don't know and have never seen before on the way they buy ice cream). 

I opened my door to the truck when he came across the parking lot, hand extended. He was holding a scoop of orange sherbet in a cone for the boy who lost his. The man’s smile was visible even through his masked face. The mom took the ice cream from the man with gratitude in her face. The boy was thrilled and he came forward running and thanked the man without being promoted. 

Joy in Christ comes when we least expect it. Maybe it comes to us and maybe we are the tool for bringing joy to someone else. But if we are looking, and if we take the time to notice what is happening around us, God blesses us. We might just be able to care for someone else in our community and bless them. 

Blessings
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 30

I have spent a lot of time collating, editing, and managing my social media and news feeds on my iPhone. This process has take quite a while...