Monday, August 17, 2020

Pastoral Thought--August 17

A couple weeks ago I found myself re-reading a book that I purchased some time ago. I have read it so many times that there are coffee stains holding some of the pages together. But every time I read it, the book speaks to my soul in a very personal way. The author, Dr. M. Craig Barnes, is the current President of Princeton Theological Seminary. When I found this book, Dr. Barnes was serving as both the pastor of Shadyside Presbyterian Church in downtown Pittsburgh, and working on the faculty of Pittsburgh Theological Seminary. 


As anyone who listens to Dr. Barnes’ sermons, or read his books, will tell you that he is an engaging speaker who rhythm of speaking draws you in. They invite you to imagine a different outcome to moments that feel too stuck to change or evolve.

I bought his book, Searching for Home, after completing one of his courses on Pastoral Care from a bulk book store. Dr. Barnes believes that we as Christians long to make our way home—which he would define as to return to God’s side and to God’s protection. We do not long to leave this earth and go to heaven necessarily, but we long to be in a state of communion with God that feels as warm and inviting as the idea of returning to a safe home. 

Early in the book, Craig is reflecting on the tragic events of September 11, 2001. As the story hits so many of our hearts, it was especially moving for Jennifer and I as JonMark was just a four months from being born. As many have said before when times of tragedy come into our world, I rubbed Jennifer’s belly and thought, “what kind of a world am I brining a child into.” Dr. Barnes has an answer to that question; one that I believe fits with the life of the church today when we find ourselves moving through a season of suffering, chaos, or crisis.

He writes, 

"So it is wisest to take seriously the crisis moments of life. 
They are our best opportunities to discover the sacred activity of God, 
who is constantly inviting us to leave the home of our illusions, 
but only to move closer to the true home he has prepared for us.” 

Again these are words of communion and solidarity with God. He continues later on that page to say, 

Why was worship so important in a time of national crisis [or I might add personal crisis]? 
For the same reason that people ask . . . to pray in the emergency room. 
Because when you’re in trouble and beyond the limits of your own abilities, what you want most of all is to go home."

We all know, and we all experience suffering, chaos, crisis, and pain in many forms. There have been times recently when you might have wondered “what kind of world am I creating for my child, my family, myself?” Perhaps you wonder, ‘how will I manage this world and the struggles of covid-19 and still remain faithful to God?’ If that is the case then Dr. Barnes’ words have something for you to hold onto today. . . God has prepared a special blessing for you that we might think of as home. It is a relationship of security; a place of peace. 

I wonder, if that is a word of comfort to you when life feels difficult and we think that we are alone?

Blessings
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 30

I have spent a lot of time collating, editing, and managing my social media and news feeds on my iPhone. This process has take quite a while...