Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Pastoral Thought--August 4

Wait. . . Where’s Luna??? 

That was the sentiment filling my mind yesterday afternoon as I went for a quick 30 minute run by myself. But let me back up for a second and fill in some details. . . When I finished my work for the day in the office, the temperature outside was a warm 84 degrees with a slight breeze. That is not too hot for Luna to run with me, but it is getting a bit close, maybe closer than I would like for her. I mean, seriously I don’t want to be unkind to her. I know she would go with me if it was 110 degrees outside. She honestly longs to run. (I wouldn’t want to be out there running in that heat, but she would. . . She’s loyal like that). 

So it's pretty hot outside, and I decide that since she pulls so hard on my right arm and shoulder for the first 3/4 of a mile or so, and since I during that 3/4 of a mile I get irritated by her pulling and beg her to stop doing that, and I even think to myself, “why did I bring you!” she can stay home today and enjoy the AC. I will run alone. I will have some music to keep me company and won’t be literally pulled down the hill of Plains Church Road dangerously fast on knees that are not the best for quick downhill strides. 

But a funny thing happened as I was trotting down that steep hill alone. . . 

I missed her. Something was off. 

She’s a convenient distraction when the pain of running gets too great. I can count of her to turn her head when cars are coming and I don’t hear them yet. When I feel that I can’t go any further, her trotting serves to help spur me on. She’s a happy distraction while I run; she seems to make the time and distance go quicker than normal. Even on my best day when I can’t keep up with her, she is loyal and happily trots with me occasionally looking behind to make sure I haven’t died yet. 

However, here I am running down the hill yesterday, and turning onto Hope Road without her thinking, “Man I wish Luna was here. . .” 

In that way I think that my run, and our attempt to live and think more joyously as members of the Body of Christ, intersect nicely. We make choices every day that resemble my choice to leave Luna behind on a hot day—something done in the name of productivity, or ease of work, or practicality. At the time those choices seems right, and we might even feel complete assurance when we make them—initially. But then something changes. Things don’t go as we planned. We find that our choice has left us utterly alone or utterly missing what used to bring us a sense of joy. What seemed like a good thing at the time, now becomes something that is isolating and joy can be lost.

I ran the remainder of my time thinking about how I won’t leave her at home next time. I did not enjoy the scenery or the breeze. The music which often distracts me when Luna is there now didn’t fully keep my mind off my labored breathing. 

I wonder if today you are being confronted with the same problem. You may have left something behind today in the name of productivity and functionality. But that thing might just have been God’s gift to help you continue to see and receive God’s joy. If that is the case, then I hope that next time you will make a different choice, and by making it, your joy will live and grow. The work will be easier and the praise to God come quicker. . . 

Blessings
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 30

I have spent a lot of time collating, editing, and managing my social media and news feeds on my iPhone. This process has take quite a while...