Monday, June 7, 2021

Pastoral Thought--June 7

Do you know about the joy that comes from receiving a new book? 

I know that this is a pretty specific question, but for those who have experienced it, the joy of a new book is wonderful—almost intoxicating. The new book holds a mystery in it’s very nature. Hiding on those pages we can find so much to consider. If you purchased a novel then you have wondered how the plot will unfold? When will the big ‘WOW’ moment happen? Will you see the twist coming? 

But that experience is not only relegated to novels. It can happen with any book that is purchased. 

I find myself feeling the same sense of anticipation when a new text arrives on my desk—and I just happened to order one this past week. Regardless of the topic, regardless of my expectation from the author, I find that a new book is inviting. I can feel my imagination primed and ready to read and enjoy the book. So when I opened David Brenner’s new book, Presence and Encounter: The Sacramental Possibilities of Everyday Life, I could not wait to discover what he was going to talk about. 

It was long into David’s text that I found the following story that I want to share with you this afternoon. For as I read this story, I wondered if we have ever considered evangelism, and the sharing how God is at work in our lives, in this way? Have you thought like this before? Brenner: 

“Tells the story of a three-year-old boy crying in a dark room of a home he was visiting one evening. 
“Auntie,” the boy cried, “talk to me I’m frightened because it is so dark.” 
His aunt answered him from another room: “What good would that do? You can’t see me.” 
“That doesn’t matter,”replied the child. “When you talk, it gets light.” "

What a story! Brenner’s book is organized to create space for consideration of what he is saying. On several pages the reader will find a tiny gray leaf. In the introduction of the book the author says that those leaves serve as an invitation to consider what was just read. They are intentional places to let what God is showing the reader. . . breathe. By the time that I found this story, I had paused several times to consider the contents of the chapters. But after reading this story I had to stop. . . and think. . . and wonder. . . 

“When you talk, it gets light.

When we speak to others in public the light of Jesus breaks trough the darkness of covid, of political unrest, of social needs, of familial tensions, and faith-doubts. The gospel’s words are written to help illuminate the darkness that stalks us as members of the Body of Christ. It does not matter if we find that darkness in another person who we meet in public or if that darkness creeps around us as we go about our days. . . It is there. . . and it is palpable. And we can speak about it. 

As I sat in my chair and sipped some herbal tea, I wondered if we remember the power of God’s word that we have access to in the scriptures? I wondered what would happen when we step out in faith, remembering that it will be hard, and spoke into that dark night of the soul that so many of us have personal and intimate familiarity with? I hope that you will take some time today to re-read the above story, and consider in your own life where God might be inviting you to speak and how that ’speaking’ will help another person. . .

Blessings
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 30

I have spent a lot of time collating, editing, and managing my social media and news feeds on my iPhone. This process has take quite a while...