Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Wonderings--May 11

This week I have had the blessing of taking communion to members of the church who are unable to physically attend worship. These moments are special, sacred, and unique. Each individual whose home I travel to demonstrates their own story of God. 

When I meet with people from the church in their home I ask myself silently, 'What are you up to here God?" Then I just sit back and listen and watch. . . Home communion, in my experience, is always a sacred moment. This time the sacredness grew because a pair of elders from the church have come with me. Their memories and stories of the person we are going to see helps to create a more vivid picture of God's presence. 

For three years covid has made these sacred visits more challenging--but slowly that is changing. 

This 'round' of communions I have sat on front porches and watched the traffic flow by. I met new family members and been re-introduced to others. I have heard the stories of how couples met and heard how their love grew and deepened over time and how covid affected them. I heard about hobbies and the lifecycle of the community, and its animals, in these visits. The history of this area has been shared with me again I learned more about Bethesda and God's work here. 

Sacred memories of the church have been shared and troubled-memories healed by being community

Whether we know it or not, times like these, where we sit and listen to each other are acts of worship. They are opportunities to sit and listen to "How God is at work" in the life of another person. Worship does not have to be formal or occur only in the worship space. Worship occurs when we invite the divine into our midst and we listen and dwell there. 

Yesterday was a beautiful day. As Ernice and I sat on outside together, with a member, I just marveled at the beauty and wonder that God does each day. In something as simple as watching the birds eat and the squirrels attempt to steal their food, God could be located and praised. Sighing I realized that God has come close in that moment-- if we will just dwell there and notice Him. This is an act of worship.  

Worship "means to participate in the daily practices of forming and restoring a local body of people and helping it to flourish in both the generic habits and the unique calling the Holy Spirit has given its as the church." 

I like this definition because it addresses the importance of the daily practices of worship that take place around us each day. I wonder if today you might take a moment, calm your heart, and notice the act of worship that you could participate in? 

Blessings
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 30

I have spent a lot of time collating, editing, and managing my social media and news feeds on my iPhone. This process has take quite a while...