Thursday, May 12, 2022

Wonderings--May 12

It has been a surprisingly quick 12-weeks for me. Actually it has been 12 weeks and three days if I am being specific, but I know that this detail is not that important. It has been 12 weeks since Dr. Weiss replaced my knee. Caps, rods, and spacers were put where they will be for the rest of my life and I can walk better and smoother now. Today was the final check-up with Dr. Weiss for a while (I will see him at 1-year just to make sure everything is well and stable--which he thinks it will be).

Last week I saw my physical therapist for the final time also and she pronounced me 'good to go.' Her final instructions were to come back with an update so she could see how well I was doing. She showed me some extra work that I could do at-home to help me in recovery and I headed back to my truck. All the necessary measurements (flexion and extension) were taken and I was significantly ahead of schedule and felt good. 

I have learned a great deal during these weeks of therapy and healing that I have shared either in these posts or from the pulpit on Sunday morning. 

They key learning point for me has been the intersection of patience and listening--tasks I know are hard for a lot of people. Through my recovery, I learned to listen to the tiny voice in my heart that routinely updates me on my pain levels and flexibility. As best as I can, I now listen better to that voice more often and try and obey its suggestions. 

I stand and walk around the office and fellowship hall almost every hour now so that I do not become too sore and stiff. I walk around the parking lot often in the morning before work--but not every day because I do hurt still at times. The voice reminds me that overdoing it is bad and that choice only wears me out faster. 

When is it time of Advil? When should I elevate my knee and ice it? The voice tells me. But the spiritual learning has been more meaningful.

Today I am more patient. 

My at-home physical therapist was the first one to push back on my desire to work harder than I needed too so that I could walk quicker. She helped me to realize that patience was as much a part of PT as the hard work that was, and is, needed. 

We read about patience in the book of Habakkuk. In the prophet we read: "For there is still a vision for the appointed time. . . it speaks of the end, and it does not lie." If you read on you will hear God say to the prophet: It it seems slow; wait for it. It is on its way; it will arrive right on time. . . this is a word of patience for the church. 

Often we want to push as fast as we can and become the most effective and efficient models of the Christian life. But in doing so we risk not hearing that small voice of the Holy Spirit telling us to be patient. . . dwell with God. If spiritual progress seems slow don't worry it will happen. Just give it time and space. 

Maybe instead of pushing as hard as we can to become faithful, slowing down, sitting back, and resting might be just what God is asking of us? This has been a lesson that I learned as I healed from surgery and it is one that maybe God is asking you to adopt yourself?  

Blessings,

Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 30

I have spent a lot of time collating, editing, and managing my social media and news feeds on my iPhone. This process has take quite a while...