Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Wonderings--May 18

Last night I did not sleep well. This has less to do with any anxiety or stress that I am reading about or feeling. My sleeplessness is more related to my choice of dinner than anything else. Add to my bout of indigestion and curious shih-tzu who wanted attention every time I got up, and the night dragged on a little more than I would have liked. 

So sleepily I slung my backpack over my shoulder and as I walked to the church I knew that I needed a little extra God-time to help my soul. I needed God's help not to 'awaken my soul' or to help me be more productive, but I needed God's help in a different, more personal, way. 

It was time to walk into the cemetery here at Bethesda and pray. Opening my devotional app on my iPhone, I slowly walked and considered the material. Each day this devotional offers listeners a 12-14 minute program which combines many pieces of worship. The company who creates these follows a simple formula: 

Greeting
Musical selection (sometimes in English)
Reading of God's word
Questions for reflection
Re-reading of the same passage
A final question
Blessing

I have listened to this program for years since a seminary professor recommended it to me and I often find it helpful. The formula works and neatly fits into even the busiest of days. 

Today's text was from John 15. In the text Jesus tells his disciples to abide in him and he will abide with them. He is the vine. . . They are the branches. He brings life. They must remain together with him. Certainly familiarity is ringing in your ear as you consider this text. The first question that the speaker offered us for reflection was all the my soul needed, and I wonder if it might be helpful to you today? 

In a world that feels cut off at times from God, and in a world where society makes choices that also feel counter to God's will, perhaps her words can help us reclaim our union with God. She said: 

"Imagine what would it be like to be a branch, joined to this vine? 
To be tended by the gardener and bear abundant fruit?"

Could you take a moment right now and do this? Consider this question in your heart right now. . . 

As she said these words, I stopped and sat on a little bench in the shade. It was a cool sunny morning and I was thankful to find this place of rest as I strengthen my artificial knee. I closed my eyes and listened to my heart's response. The responses were buzzing around me almost instantly. I heard words coming from my heart like:

Union. 
Togetherness. 
Commonality. 
Vitality. 
Life.

I saw in my heart a yellowish-white vein flowing from the root of the vine and into the branches. Like veins in our bodies, this light granted, or brought, life to the extremities of the vine--to us--and fruit would grow. I saw the Gardner traveling around his field. Smiling. Watering. Feeding. And caring for his field; caring for us.  

This reflection went on for 10 more minutes. Then they finished with a benediction and I returned to my desk. 

The election struggles that I read about from primaries around the country are still present and unresolved. NATO issues are part of our day. War still rages in far off places. We are still divided as the Supreme Court rules on case after case. . . And yet, for the moment, I abided in the vine and it helped. 

I hope you will take a moment today and consider the question that was posed to me. Maybe God brought it into your life for a reason? 

Blessings
Derek


No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 30

I have spent a lot of time collating, editing, and managing my social media and news feeds on my iPhone. This process has take quite a while...