Thursday, May 18, 2023

I Wonder--May 18

Today I have been thinking a lot about unexpected acts that bring joy into the life another person and wondering how we might practice this--even in our prayer times. 

After receiving an update on a prayer need at the church, I decided to go on some pastoral visits. As I headed out of the driveway, I made a quick decision: I needed some coffee; I needed to stop at Dunkin. And while I was there I would pick up something for Jennifer and deliver it to her. The plan went smoothly. . . well kinda. 

Pulling up to the window I met a woman whose eyes said, 'you are not going to be happy, sir.' I smiled back and told her I had a mobile order for "Derek." Taking a deep breath she explained that they ran out of the size of cup that I ordered--they had a solution. They would fix that by giving me a medium and a small drink to compensate--4 drinks not 2. 

I said that would not work. I told her that I was off to the hospital to visit parishioners and I did not have the ability to hold and manage 4 drinks. As she offered me a drink carrier for my extra drinks, I said, 'it's no big deal. I will take the medium and not worry about it.' 

Over her shoulder the manager looked surprised at me. They got to making my drinks and I sat there and chatted with the woman at the window about the church. She clearly expected an angry customer and I was not angry.

She expected push back. I was not going to push back. The 50 cents that I would lose on the order was inconsequential. And what followed was a small conversation based on my faith even though I did not have to mention much about the Lord for her to start offering me her own story.

Smiling I drove off and the day continued normally. 

Now I wonder about the small bit of joy I brought to the staff at Dunkin? 

They were clearly bracing for me to be upset and yell at them. They even had excuses in hand (the truck was late). But that did not matter to me; I was not upset. Because of my choice to be grace-filled and kind, I found myself thinking about them later in the day and offering a small prayer of blessing in their life because I know they face tough customers often throughout the day. 

Perhaps today, and the rest of this week, you might find the chance to offer a similar grace-filled prayer for someone who needs a little touch of God's hand. I wonder what might happen if you did? 

1 comment:

  1. Faith and patience can go a long especially during these times. To me it also is like when you let someone go ahead of you at the grocery store when they have one item in their hands. Heather

    ReplyDelete

I Wonder--April 15

As I was reading today I came across the following entry that made me stop and think.  Yes, today is Tax Day. And yes, I do not enjoy today ...