Wednesday, May 3, 2023

I Wonder--May 3

A short time ago I took a needed break from the office to head back to the house for a moment. 

As spring continues to blossom here in York, I notice that my allergies are flaring up. I sneeze more than normal and feel my sinuses fill up and the pressure building in them. I am not uncomfortable or suffering in any way; I need to pay better attention to my symptoms and manage them. 

So I told Pat that I would be back in a moment; I was heading home to take an allergy pill (and maybe grab some OJ). 

On my way over (and back) I listened to a podcast from the Surgeon General. His weekly talk this week was about loneliness, and as I walked, he said that we often do not need major changes in our day to resolve our feelings of loneliness. Rather small incremental moments or choices can help move us as individuals away from feelings of isolation and help us build community with each other. He said, a small wave, or a nod, might just do the trick and help begin a practice that helps us re-connect with each other. 

Walking back into the office I nodded in approval at what he was saying, and then, looking at the book I was working through, a book on prayer, and I wondered. . . Maybe we do not need a formal space, formal time, or formal words to help us pray for effectively to God? I wondered what it would look like to pray in small snippets--maybe micro-prayers. How might those help change and shape us as the church?  

And so for the next couple of minutes I tried the practice. I thought about the Day Care children who I read a Bible story with--and I said a single sentence prayer. I thought about some work I have to attend to at the presbytery level--and I said a single sentence prayer. 

This practice went on for a few moments, and then, I was drawn back to the task of the day. 

Perhaps this is something that you too could try as you seek to pray as God taught you? Perhaps a micro-prayer might be all that is needed in the life of someone you care about? Give it a try and let me know how it goes. . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 15

As I was reading today I came across the following entry that made me stop and think.  Yes, today is Tax Day. And yes, I do not enjoy today ...