Friday, May 8, 2020

Pastoral Thought--April 8

Church family, 

Well, we are getting closer to being together again, aren’t we. According to the governor’s office, on May 15th, Butler County moves into the Yellow Phase. I have great hope that this is just the beginning of us returning to Plains and life transitioning back to normalcy—or whatever the new normal looks like. When I read that we will move on May 15th to Yellow I remember something that was shared with me this past week that I want to share with you:

David Steindl-Rast wrote about gratitude in this way:

"What counts on your path to fulfillment is that we remember the great truth that moments of surprise want to teach us: . . . everything is a gift. The degree to which we are awake to this truth is the measure of our gratefulness. And gratefulness is the measure of our aliveness. . . In moments of surprise when we are truly alive, we experience life as a gift. We also experience life as a surprise."

I am grateful that we are moving toward a new phase or level, and I am grateful that God has been with us when we are not together. I am grateful whether we worshipped together physically or virtually. I hope that, even as the snow flies a bit as I write to you, that you will take a moment a pause over David’s words, and by doing so, remember that God is with us and that we are grateful for every little blessing that happens during this pandemic.

Blessings
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 30

I have spent a lot of time collating, editing, and managing my social media and news feeds on my iPhone. This process has take quite a while...