Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Pastoral Thought--June 30

Church family,

Although it is tempting to think that the social unrest we are witnessing, and the response of the church to are, are relatively new concepts. They are not. Certainly the social issues that we are seeing on the news, or reading about on-line, are quite loudly presented to us, but they are, in fact, not new ideas or new struggles in our country and world. We have long struggled with prejudice and violence toward each other. I suspect that since the very first sins were committed by one person to another, Creation has wrestled with how to address unrest and evil. The church has debated how do we combat systemic evil and systemic issues that seem to go unaddressed for generations, and many of their response, many of our responses, seem to come up short. We offer blanket statements designed to placate but not heal. Judgments are given without listening fully to the other person. This is a serious church-wide issue.

Right along side of how to we address this unrest in our world, we have the opportunity each day presented to us to address smaller issues that need our attention and forgiveness. Consider this “smaller” issue that I dealt with today. . . 

Luna and I went out for a run before it got too hot today. I took her down Plains Church toward Franklin. She was energetic but minded herself well enough. Until a large white SUV shot past her—far closer than he should have been. The driver was going much faster than the speed limit mandated. I shouted at Luna, “Hey what are you doing?” To which her ears dropped and she shot back across the road to where she was supposed to be. But the speeding driver, the one who did not make room for us, and was driving too fast, stepped on his brake because he thought that I was yelling at him. I waved and smiled at him, and bend down to talk to Luna. I hoped he would then realize I was upset with her (not really) and drive on. (Actually I told her that it wasn’t her fault that he drove like that. And I rubbed her nose a bit). 

For the rest of the run, I was irritated at that guy. Why did he have to go so fast on a road of hills and blind bends? Why couldn't he leave for work 5 minutes earlier and thereby drive safer? Why is everyone is such a hurry today? As I ran, I suspected that I need to forgive him because I didn’t know what was going on in his life. . . I bet that you have had that experience too. . . Wondering why someone acted as they did and judging them for it?

Big issues or little ones, they both need a response from us. Former Presbyterian pastor, Majorie Thompson, in her book, Forgiveness: A Lenten Study wrote this section that I think helps us begin to think about how to respond: 

"The Christian faith is indelibly marked by the invitation to receive, and the imperative to offer, forgiveness. Forgiveness is the fountain from which new life flows in a wounded, strife-weary world. It can be reasonable argued that the idea of forgiveness is more central and distinctive to Christianity than to any other religion. . . Jesus’ forgiveness from the cross of those who crucified him is a profound embodiment of what he taught and reveals its centrality." 

I agree with Thompson, forgiveness is central to following Jesus. So it needs to be offered freely to others. I wonder where you might extend that level of forgiveness, as Jesus did to you, to someone else today?

Blessings
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 30

I have spent a lot of time collating, editing, and managing my social media and news feeds on my iPhone. This process has take quite a while...