Thursday, June 18, 2020

Pastoral Thought

Church Family, 

Every week is a little different. Sure we have a “similar” routine to our days, but I think you would agree, that every week is a little different. They each seem to have their own rhythm to work through and with. For me this week was one of those times when I could affirm this to be true. . . let me explain.

On Wednesday, Jennifer and I were waiting for a package to be delivered. We ordered something from Ikea and the schedule delivery date finally arrived. Excited I waited for the phone call that announced the “delivery window” we should expect. That call never came. Instead, I received a text message from Emma stating that our item was in the house before lunch. JonMark helped bring it in (the driver was forbidden by company rules to enter the house during covid-19). At lunch, I opened the package and attempted to set it up. But something didn’t seem right . . . After careful examination, and thought, I determined that I was missing something. 

So I tried to call Ikea—that call was unhelpful. They could not resolve my issue over the phone. I needed to come in. So I sighed realizing that later in the evening, after my already full day was complete, I would have to go back and figure this out. But I was tired and I was busy. I was not excited about this at all. But I went back to Robinson. 

Traffic was heavy on the highway. People we skipping across lanes like rocks across the water—which I don’t like. I was generally irritated for a variety of reasons. I had too much to do on Wednesday evening, and this trip was an unneeded detour in an already busy day. But the drive offered me something that I needed—space to think. 

Austrian Physicist Fritjof Capra wrote: 

"During these periods . . . the intuitive mind seems to take over and can produce the sudden clarifying insights which give so much joy and delight." 

His words echoed in my mind as I drove to Robinson, and then home. I listened to a couple sermons that I downloaded on my phone. I spent time mediating on a passage of scripture as it was presented on a podcast that like. The solitary drive became a means to enter deeper into God’s abundance and grace. 

In a human sense, y trip was fruitless. It turned out that I did not need to go to Robinson to fix my issue, and adaptive answer was sitting right before me if I looked. But if I had not spent the 90 minutes on this trip, then I would not have spent the needed time with God that my soul craved. I was delighted and joyful to be driving and thinking. My creativity was pinged. In fact, I longed for more time to think and reflect in that way when I got home. 

I wonder, in your busy, unique, week, where does God provide the space so that you can reflect and think? Perhaps, like me, the space is present in a way that you don’t realize in initially, but it is there, if you can look and enter it. When you stop in your day, something can happen.

Blessings 
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 30

I have spent a lot of time collating, editing, and managing my social media and news feeds on my iPhone. This process has take quite a while...