Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Pastoral Thought

Good morning,
Howard Thurman loved Jesus. He loved what Jesus’ work meant to the community in which he worked and lived as he loved seeing Jesus exceed the societal expectations of his day. Throughout Howard’s work, he “argues that within Jesus’ life of suffering, pain, and overwhelming love is the solution that will prevent our descent into moral nihilism. . . Jesus advocated a love of self and others that defeats fear and the hatred that decays our souls and the world around us.” So in that way, while Howard’s work for Christ is complete in this world, I find him speaking to me frequently in my daily life. Howard’s writing draws us into reflection and analysis of how we choose to live our lives and fill our days.

For instance, one of his more famous quotes is the very humble statement:  “It is very easy to sit in judgement upon the behavior of others, but often difficult to realize that every judgement is a self-judgement.

I cannot read that quote without having to stop and pause along my day—as I imagine you might as you read it. It feels like he is speaking directly to me, on this very day. For how many times do I judge what I am experiencing, listening to, watching, or reading without realizing that my judgment is self-serving in nature and design? This quotation puts the speaker, or the reader, or the presenter down while elevating my mind and my ability to know what is best for me. In that way, I find myself living in a bubble that I create and that I support. The logic continues. . . therefore since I have created and choreographed my world, and since I have made it in my image, no one has the ability to influence to challenge my world or my worldview. I am the master of this created-world. But that narrow worldview leads us into a place that we do not want to work or live.

Thurman wonders how a disciplined prayer life, based on Christ’s love, combined with humility, can transform the daily walk of the church into something more. I hope that you enjoy this little prayer and take some time to read, and re-read it, over the course of your day. As you do, notice where God is speaking and which lines of the prayer that bring out a call to change and humility. . .  

"Lord, open unto me
Open unto me – light for my darkness.
Open unto me – courage for my fear.
Open unto me – hope for my despair.
Open unto me – peace for my turmoil.
Open unto me – joy for my sorrow.
Open unto me strength for my weakness.
Open unto me – wisdom for my confusion
Open unto me – forgiveness for my sins.
Open unto me – love for my hates.
Open unto me – thy Self for my self.
Lord, Lord, open unto me
!
Blessings
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 30

I have spent a lot of time collating, editing, and managing my social media and news feeds on my iPhone. This process has take quite a while...