Thursday, December 10, 2020

Pastoral Thought--December 10

Christmas is a time of joy and cheer. But what happens when an event in Christmas starts out on the wrong foot? How can that help or bring a Christmas blessing to you? 

This story comes from the first Christmas that Jennifer and I had together as husband and wife. We were living in a tiny 2-bedroom rental in Ashland, Ohio. It was a cold house with heat only in a few rooms. But it was our house and we were happy. As a new couple starting out there were a lot of things that we didn’t have. . . like a Christmas tree. So we headed to the local Wal-Mart and purchased the tree that we still use to this day. It stands about 7 feet tall and is still as full as the day I opened the box. 

And so the day after Thanksgiving, we unpacked the box. We made a diagram to replace the paper instructions that we knew that we’d loose one day, and put the tree up. But it didn’t feel like Christmas to me. I thought back to my childhood Christmas’ and how my parents decorated the house. . . 

Christmas cookies—check
Christmas tree—check
Ornaments—check
The family that I love—check
What was I missing…. Then I remembered. 

We needed music! 

Now for a little backstory to set this up. . . Every time that my family travelled to Cleveland to see my grandparents during Christmas, Grandma and Grandpa would have classic Christmas music playing on their record player in the backroom. Their dog Teddy would greet us at the door wagging his tail. I have fond memories of listening to Dean Martin, Bing Crosby, Perry Como sing Christmas songs that you know well. That cemented in me a love of Christmas classics. . . Grandma would be in the kitchen making cookies, Grandpa in his chair and the music playing for hours. The sight of their tree with oversized lightbulbs in the corner is still with me.  

Fast forward a few years in my life. . . My dad loved music as well. What he loved actually was being able to play music at any volume, in any room, of any house that we lived in. Dad always ran speaker wire around the house making sure to tuck the wire into the carpet. Then when the time came, he could, and he would, flip switches on the stereo to funnel the music wherever he wanted it. Upstairs. Downstairs. The bedroom. Dad could make that happen. So as we decorated the house for Christmas we would listen to the same classics Grandma and Grandpa loved, but dad would add some new favorites to the rotation. He would add James Taylor, Paul McCartney, and a new family favorite Mannheim Steamroller. 

With that music playing, we would decorate the house. . . 

Back to my story with Jennifer. . . We didn’t have the music!!!! So we stopped decorating and I informed Jennifer that what would help put us in the Christmas spirit was the right Christmas music. As we did not own any Christmas music, I went to the store to find some. Specifically I was looking for Mannheim Steamroller, which Jennifer told me, was something she was unfamiliar with. I grabbed the CD from the rack quickly. Ran to the checkout and hurried home to her. I found Jennifer unpacking the decorations, and so, triumphantly I inserted the CD into the player and began the music. . . something was wrong. 

This didn’t sound right. Instead of melodic, electric Christmas music that I expected to present her with, we were hearing heavy metal Christmas music. Same songs. . . different tune. I grabbed the CD case and looked at it. This music was screwing up Christmas! Jennifer looked. . . confused to say the least at my reaction. As I re-read the sweeping cursive letters on the front of the CD I found, to my shock and dismay, that I had indeed bought the wrong CD. Instead of Mannheim Steamroller I bought the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Now I mean no offense to those who appreciate The Trans-Siberian Orchestra, but it was not what I wanted. It was wrong. We stopped the CD. I was quite embraced. And together we laughed and put up the decorations in silence. 

But that event still makes me smile today. Whenever we hear the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Jennifer looks at me with that knowing-look that a wife gives her husband. Her eyes telling me, “do you remember our first Christmas?” I smile and often have to say to her, “Don’t say it.” Which makes us both laugh. But that ‘mistake’ has become something brings me joy and happiness in Christmas. 

And so as Christmas in 2020 continues, I wonder what brings you joy and happiness today that, in the moment, felt shocking? It might have been a moment that you never wanted to remember or re-live, but now, I wonder if it is the perfect Christmas gift from God? 

Blessings
Rev. Derek 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 24

In the rush for productivity, we often rush too quickly. . . We rush to be effective and be thorough. But in doing so, we might just miss th...