Monday, December 14, 2020

Pastoral Thought--December 14

We have 11 days left before Christmas morning. The Advent season always seems to fly right past me, while Lent, and its introspection, drags on. In Lent my mind gravitates to my sin, and the dark of the cold winter, I reflect more because of it; I reflect deeper. But in Advent, with trees lite bright, and warm music playing, time seems to travel too quickly. I don’t want Christmas to come yet.  

My Christmas shopping is done. Gifts purchased and wrapped (thanks Emma for helping me wrap them). The Santas who grace my office shelves and desk are beginning to look like they’ve been standing watch for a long time with me. My favorite Christmas music is still playing, but familiarity breeds contempt. It is not as loud as normal. It doesn’t warm my heart as much as it did on December 1st. I find myself wanting joy, craving family, yearning for carols, but a quick glance at my calendar tells me that I might be too busy for joy, family, or carols today. I know that you feel the same way. . . 

Your schedule is crammed. The expectations that have been placed upon you are great. Maybe there is still work to be done; gifts to buy. Cookies that need baking (and eating!). Decorations that still aren’t completely hung in their place. The pressure is there. . . as is the eye roll that comes when read things like, ’the pressure is there.’ So let me tell you about my morning as a way to offer you some help this Christmas season.

Today at 10, 10:15, and 10:30 I read my newest Christmas story to the children at CNS. This year Jennifer found me a new book to read entitled, A Very Merry Christmas Prayer. Great story. Great message. The story takes the usual elements of Christmas—trees, lights, cookies, family—and crosses them with the nativity story. Here is an exert: 

Thank you, God, for strings of lights,
So twinkling and bright, 
Just like the star that led wise men
On that special night.

Jennifer bought it for me from Target. She knows that I spent a lot of time selecting the right story to share with the kids. Frankly I spend about a month thinking about it. As I read the story today, I felt the Christmas-joy bubbling up in me. Let me tell you more. . . 

I saw Ady, one of our half-pints, beaming a smile over her mask that cannot be ignored. She was ready to listen. Every time I turned the page, and showed her the story, her eyes lit up again. Her shoulders shot forward, chin tucked down, and joy was there. Her little finger pointing out everything that I asked. This happened for every, single page. Even after I prayed, Ady’s face lit up.  

I enjoyed Mara’s reaction. She is one of our 3-year-olds. In her beautiful red-sequin-dress she leaned forward in the church pew to see the story and participate. The Christmas spirit was in her heart even brighter than her dress! As I asked if she was ready for Santa, she nodded and said ‘yes,’ and added, ‘and Jesus too.’ She understands. . . .

Lia, a Pre-K young lady, whose voice was not being heard well in the story, showed Christ with her. The room was filled and the kids were excited to listen—which can drown out a little voice. In the story, I asked about the warm beds the children have at home as we thought about Jesus, and Lia cradled her arms together. She rocked them slowly, carefully, deliberately. She said, ‘Its the place where baby Jesus sleeps.’ I suspect my smile was apparent through my mask. I just sat there, nodding, and said, ‘Yes, dear, it is.’ 

I hope that you find a moment today, to feel and share the joy of Christmas as I did. It didn’t make my day any less busy. The story did not remove things from my desk that need my attention. I have things to plan for and work to do. But for just a moment, for just a beautiful half-hour, I got the chance to offer A Very Merry Christmas Prayer to the children at CNS and it made all the difference in my day. I wonder if that might help you too. . . 

Blessings
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 24

In the rush for productivity, we often rush too quickly. . . We rush to be effective and be thorough. But in doing so, we might just miss th...