Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Pastoral Thought--December 16

t's too quiet here! The background joy of young children filling our halls is missing and I don’t like the silence. As I look outside I see snow beginning to coat the walkway and yard around Plains. This only adds to my distress—I have things to do today. The snow is not helping me accomplish that. So to combat that feeling I do what most pastors would do in my position. I brew some coffee in my favorite mug. Find the newest book that I plan to read. Move into my favorite reading chair next to the desk, and try to be intellectual. . . 

The book that I selected was by Barbara Brown Taylor. I appreciate the way that she creates simple sentences that contain complex meanings for the church. In her newest book, Always a Guest, she writes the following: 

Jesus’ lifesaving news is that our redemption is embedded in the things that cause us the greatest anxiety.

As I sip my coffee, I read that a second time. . . 

That sentence was part of a sermon that she delivered at the beginning of Advent to an unnamed church. The point of her message was that Advent can be a time of anxiety for the church. As I think and plan for Christmas worship, I nod with her in agreement. Then I remember Dr. Barnes at Pittsburgh Seminary and something that he would add to this reflection. I remember him standing before our class preparing to teach us about how to lead our churches liturgically. On that day, he leaned onto the side podium, sighed deeply as his shoulders slumped, and said, “You know, it is so exhausting preparing for the birth of the Savior of humanity.” The sarcasm and truth mixing together in his words and made us all laugh in ignorance. His point was that this should not be a stressful, anxious, time. But it is. . .  

The falling snow will make it harder for me accomplish my errands today. I will have to dedicate more time to things that I don’t want to spend time with. The pandemic has made it harder to spread Christmas joy in the community. People are more stressed at the store. They brush past me as they try to keep up their torrid pace. Everything that we do seems to take more effort and more planning both at home and in the church. But Taylor is right. . . The lifesaving news is there. If we are willing to look for it when our vision is clouded by outside pressures and forces.

I wonder if can find a quiet moment to notice not just the anxiety that lives in us during Christmas, and instead notice the lifesaving news that also lives here? I wonder what that ‘pause’ might do to your outlook this season? 

Blessings
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 24

In the rush for productivity, we often rush too quickly. . . We rush to be effective and be thorough. But in doing so, we might just miss th...