Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Pastoral Thought--December 15

Today I want to share with you the words of the Rev. Dr. Andrew Purves whose writing and teaching I encountered while studying for my M.Div at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary. Andrew’s teaching has been instrumental not only in my theological formation, but also in the formation of the PC(USA)—a denomination that he loved and served. In his book, The Resurrection of Ministry, he wrote these words that feel poignant during this week for me. 

He wrote: 

Sometimes, especially when the season is dark, dangerous, wearisome, scary, lonely, despairing or at best limpid, uninspiring and routine, I choose to trust that Jesus is still encountering me, because that in part is what Jesus does. Whether I am aware of him or not, I choose to trust that in the Spirit he continues to show up within and around the edges of my life in order to draw me to himself. I choose to trust. . . . even, and maybe especially, when I don’t feel his presence or see his hand at work.

Although this book was written in 2010, it feels like Andrew is writing to the church living through the struggle of a global pandemic that has taken away much of the church’s joy and passion. But what if the passion is still there? What if we need to just look a little deeper? A little longer? I wonder what we might find? 

This morning I read the Christmas story to the last of the CNS classes. With a mixture of joy and sadness I walked back and forth in front of them sharing MyVery Merry Christmas Prayer and asking God to be with them this Christmas. As the story ended, the kids rose, walked up to the platform and prepared the sing their songs to an empty sanctuary. Bells were handed out; instructions given. They were going to sing Jingle Bells. Their song would be recorded and sent off to the children’s families for them to enjoy. So off they went. . . 

The first time was a bit quiet. The children needed some extra encouragement to sing out and sing loud—which they were given. 

The second time was better. They danced a little and shook those bells while singing Jingle Bells so well.  .  . But the recording didn’t work so a third time was needed. This was going to be good!  

The third time, the children's 3-year-old nature finally came out. They sang loudly. Really Loudly! Almost yelling. The bells shook harder than they had before. I wondered if one of those bells would come flying off. Their knees rocked a bit more as the children danced and jumped to the song. But the six of them each sang to a slightly different tempo so it was a loud cacophony of Jingle-ing Bells and little voices. Small beads of sweat dotted some faces. We laughed and enjoyed their passion, and that got me thinking. . . 

Jesus is still, as Andrew reminds us, encountering us whether we realize it or not. Jesus is still at work in our lives whether we see that work or are struggling to find joy and hope this season. Jesus’ birth provides me the opportunity to trust that God is still at work in me even if I cannot feel it as strongly as I have in previous, non-pandemic, years. And so I wonder, today if this is a word that you need to hear as Christmas draws closer? 

Maybe you are like those kids, living at a pace and tempo that feels different and seems out of step? Maybe it is taking all that you have to live faithfully in this pandemic. But maybe, just maybe, God is still encountering and blessing you. He is still giving you a reason to sing and dance because his Son is about to be born again in your life? I wonder what that song looks like in you?  

Blessings
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 24

In the rush for productivity, we often rush too quickly. . . We rush to be effective and be thorough. But in doing so, we might just miss th...