Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Wonderings--February 23

Already today I have felt pulled and pushed in many directions. Let me tell you about some of them before I continue. . . 

Shortly after I began to brew a fresh pot of coffee to enjoy on this glorious rainy morning, the phone rang. The installation company who would be setting up our new dishwasher was calling with some questions. Highest on their list was actually finding where the dishwasher was physically! I don't imagine a dishwasher can be installed if it is missing. But they found it and we all good on that front. 

Then as the technician set to the task of preparing for the actual install, some minor issues arose relating to the plumbing. I don't fully grasp what he is saying but I do know that when he says, "wash any dishes you have with any reside on them of any kind again before you eat on them" I get what he is asking. 

But, although this is important information, it's not the end of the world. My stoic conclusion forgets to mention that I had PT today too. 

My nurse modified my treatment plan to slow things down a bit--imagine that, I am pushing too hard and getting sore. She spent more time helping to stretch my leg out and increase my range of motion. She showed me new ways to stretch and we worked on perfecting how I walk. 

Between the two incidents, which occurred simultaneously this morning, I felt a bit overwhelmed. Not upset. . . Just overwhelmed. 

So as I often do in those moments, I grabbed a favorite book of mine and let the Holy Spirit lead. He showed me the words of Anabaptist Michael Sattler. In the 1500s Sattler wrote a hymn entitled "Christ's Disciples." I want to share some of the verse with you because in the midst of a busy morning finding space to hear Sattler's words helped me as I suspect they will help you. 

When Christ with his teaching true 
Had gathered a little flock 
He said that each with patience
Must daily follow him bearing his cross.

And said: you, my beloved disciples, 
Must be ever courageous 
Must love nothing on earth more than me 
And must follow my teaching.

For I am yours and you are mine 
Thus where I am there you shall be, 
And he who abuses you touches My eye, 
Woe to the same on that day. 

Oh Christ, help thou thy people 
Which follows thee in all faithfulness, 
That through the bitter death 
It may be redeemed from all distress.

These are just a few of Sattler's verses and although I was tempted to read them quickly and get back to my list of things to-do, I couldn't. I needed to slow my heart, settle my mind, and breath. Let God feel in me the pressure of my morning without trying to force my way through it. 

This hymn, which Sattler used to help confront his impending martyrdom, can help each of us. For a confession of faith, even a simple idea about our union in and with Christ, can have a profound impact on that which presses upon us. 

I wonder if you would stop today and affirm who Christ is in your life? Perhaps that which seemed too busy, to pressure packed, might open up and become a time of discipleship? 

Blessings
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 30

I have spent a lot of time collating, editing, and managing my social media and news feeds on my iPhone. This process has take quite a while...