Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Wonderings--February 22

As I was considering how to once again speak about my at-home PT and recovery process, I wondered if we fall into the trap of marginalizing what God, through the Bible, calls necessary and normal? Do we run past something that was transformational simply because it was at the same time normal or anticipated or expected? 

If we do, and I think that this happens far more often than we realize, what does the way forward resemble as we reunify our experience and our expectation with God? 

Yesterday I wrote about vulnerability and how I found some though music and my dependence upon God to help me make my leg function more properly. At that time, I shared lyrics from the Christian rock band Skillet. But as I shared their words, I noticed that someone was missing in the story. . .  Let me see if I can fill in some gaps that helped to enrich what was happening.

So as the first song began to beat out a fast cadence I found John's ever-present lead voice singing. Then behind him was Jen, the drummer, offering echoes and additional verses. Together they craft a wonderful combination of words and meanings. John in his gravely-rock voice and Jen in her high-volume delicate voice. Their lyrics are one part affirmation and one part prayer. . . And that's what was missing. 

I could bob my head up and down in time with the music, I could let my heart sing silently each line, but the prayer wasn't, at that time, taking home of my heart as it normally does when I ask Siri to play some Skillet. 

Yet as soon as I was done with PT and safely back under the gentle touch of my ice machine, I could hear in the back of my mind each line of the songs I just heard. They were a prayer offered to God faithfully. In their own way each song said the same thing: 

You are my God. 
You are my savior.
You will save me. 

And yet, outside of my PT time was I willing to consider the emotional impact of these words and make them part of my discipleship? Was something as simple as music that is sung unto God done so because of its transformational power? 

You see I found myself guilty of making worship and prayer the thing that I did when I had my bible open in my lap--something only done when its supposed to be done. Sadly for that time, worship and prayer escaped my grasp as a every-moment thing. It was relegated away from me. And I don't think that this I what God intended for either of us.

Whether we are in need desperately or just trying to figure out how to lift our leg one more time, God is present to help. In my experience God won't reach down and touch that thing immediately. While that does happen it happens far less frequently then we might hope. Instead, what God promises is to with be with. To hold us. To care for us--always and forever. 

I wonder if the simplicity of that message might be helpful for you today as you continue living out the sacred calling of God and the daily grind of life?

Blessings
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 30

I have spent a lot of time collating, editing, and managing my social media and news feeds on my iPhone. This process has take quite a while...