Thursday, February 24, 2022

Wondering--February 24

I knew that my recovery from a total knee replacement would take time. I knew that pain would be present, but that each day I would get a bit stronger as I healed. I created a good treatment plan for success that had many contingencies so that I would confront how I might feel each day and not become discouraged or sad. 

But I did not count on having so much time alone. . . 

Sure, I obviously knew that I would be in the house along for about 5 hours per day. I planned to sleep a lot during those times since I know that sleep would help my body recover and heal quicker. But I didn't truly know what was going to happen this week as I was so alone. 

As you know tensions in Ukraine and Russia are rising. As I write this morning I have read reports of Russian troop advancements. I have read about sanctions and military troop movements from NATO allies. Opening my Apple News App I watched silently as the prospect of war grew day by day. . . and nearly hour by hour. 

But sitting here alone, with no one to talk to or help me understand why this is happening is hard. I have been in this same chair for the last 10 days, I've wondered "Now what?" As I read each story. I have tired to pray for peace and pray for cooler heads to prevail. I have asked God to be with leaders in the US and those aboard. And yet, as I pray, and sit here alone, troops move into Ukraine and like you, I don't know what to do. 

Perhaps you have experienced a similar feeling in your life recently. . . Confronted by something and powerless to address it. Those struggles come in all shapes, sizes, and degrees of intensity. I wonder if my solution might be something of value to you. . . ?

After reading the last article in the news, I placed by iPhone down, smiled at the dogs who gently snore next to me, I grabbed dad's cane, and I stand. I have been sitting without moving for a little bit now and so it is time for a walk. 

Brittany, my therapist, is working with me to improve my range of motion as I walk. I need to trust my knee and extend and flex it as I walk. I can do this, if I walk very slowly because then I am aware of all the micro-movements in my knee that take place and I can keep everything bending and flexing better when I am slow. So I walk. . . 

Slowly out of the den, into the kitchen, through the dinning room, and into the living room. I return to the den. The whole trip is 40ish steps. Then I go again. . . This time it's a bit faster but I am still aware of each step. This is my routine that I do about 10 times a day. 

As I walk, I don't pretend that the suffering of my world is impacted by my walking, but I know, I feel, that for the moment everything is in God's hands. Like the song says, "He's got the whole world in His hands.' 

I hope for peace. I pray for it. But in the midst of my day, a day when I am alone, I decided to walk. Like I said before, I wonder if my solution might be beneficial to you?  

Blessings
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 30

I have spent a lot of time collating, editing, and managing my social media and news feeds on my iPhone. This process has take quite a while...