Thursday, February 10, 2022

Wonderings--February 10

Since yesterday my mind has circled back to that 'the thing I did.' I wrote a letter that served two purposes: support and encouragement. I had the letter proof read before I sent it to his final destination and no changes were made. The content was clear and correctly phrased and formatted. I thought that it was the least that I could do. . . but sometimes that 'least that we can do' becomes more. 

Several hours later I received some feedback from the letter that I sent. I honestly had no expectations for a response as the letter was not written to garner one. I wanted to make sure that I was available should I be needed and sought. But a response happened that supported my first conclusion. 

I received a look. An ever-so light tear. And then it was gone. I have been thinking about that moment since it happened which leads me to today's thought and led me to believe that any tiny gesture that we do to support another person will be used by God for great things. 

In 2013, author George Saunder delivered the commencement address at Syracuse University. In that address he offered these words to the students as they prepared to face their lives outside of the classroom. He said: 

"So here's something I know to be true, although it's a little corny, and I don't quite know what to do with it: What I regret most in my life are failures of kindness. Those moments when another human being was there, in front of me, suffering, and I responded. . . sensibly. Reservedly. Mildly."

Stepping out and being present in the life of another person is a courageous act. These gestures can be a simple and silent as writing letter. But we should never forget that our response to the struggles of their lives should mirror God's emotional response to the first sin of humanity. 

In that case God boldly came to us. God choose to leave the perfect Union of heaven and accept a mortal body that would hang on a cross one day. God did not respond gently and mildly to our need--and I do not believe that God ever will. God shows up for us. Right now. In totality. 

So as I think about my letter, yes, it was a small gesture but it was one that confronted the recipient in the place where they were. They suffer. I know this.  They are working hard and trying to adapt daily to an ever-shifting landscape. 

Small gestures are one thing, but I wonder if we could stop seeing them just as tiny things that we do and realize that they are tools that God can use to heal, restore, and support another person? 

I wonder if you have decided to care of another person in the same way? I bet God will use that caring act to help the other person in ways you do not anticipate. 

Blessings
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 30

I have spent a lot of time collating, editing, and managing my social media and news feeds on my iPhone. This process has take quite a while...