Monday, February 7, 2022

Wonderings--February 7

Sometimes when you take a moment, slow down, and notice, you witness something that can help shape your day. When that happens what you witness becomes a "God moment.". . . And God moments can be shared. Let me share the story with you from Sunday worship. . . 

The Sunday service was proceeding normally. Bert, our liturgist, blessed our hearts with an a-cappella opening as part of her welcome. With each line and stanza of the song that she sang, I felt my heart lifting up and a smile coming across my face. God was good and the service was a blessing. 

As we prayed for the needy of our community, God was close at hand. With each shared prayer concern, we noticed how great our God is and we know how great He could become in the lives of other people who need His touch. . . 

And then something small, something most of you didn't notice, happened.

Reagan Hall sat down at the piano to play Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. I imagine she took a deep breath, relaxed, and started playing. . . If you are familiar with the piece you know its pacing and sound. She was doing well. I noticed LaRayne watching proudly from the back row of the choir area, and then it happened. 

Sitting a row in front of LaRayne was Reagan's sister Katie. Head slightly cocked toward her sister, she sat silently listening with her legs crossed. But the thing you didn't see was her hand. Katie had her fist resting on top knee with her thumb sticking up. She was giving her sister, who I imagine was a bit nervous, a silent 'thumbs up' in support. 

She didn't smile. She didn't look anxious herself. Instead Katie sat there offering a tiny little gesture to her sister that said in its own way: "You got this." Indeed she did. 

Reagan finished playing and sat down. The silent "thumbs up" slid away and the service continued onward. There was no acknowledgment of that silent gesture but I imagine, as I bet you do, that it was appreciated. 

We don't always have to make a grand show of support to another person. Instead we just 'show up' and allows God to act. Nothing needed to be said. Nothing was said between the sisters. They were just there to support one another. 

I wonder if today you might be able to offer that same silent support, encouragement, and presence to another person? And I wonder how that might bless them? 

Blessings,

Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 15

As I was reading today I came across the following entry that made me stop and think.  Yes, today is Tax Day. And yes, I do not enjoy today ...