Thursday, June 30, 2022

Wonderings--June 30

Today I have been lost in thought. While working on a project that I volunteered for, I noticed how my mind travelled around the space where I was working and settled on an interesting reflection from the book I was reading. . . 

First, let me say that I am thankful that I volunteered for this work. . . I had no plans on doing so as we entered the space a few days ago. I just wanted to 'look around' and see what I could support another person here in the church. Entering the space, I recognized that a great amount of work was needed and I trusted that God would help accomplish this. Before long I found my mouth open and I offered to help. 

Surprise, surprise, no one stopped me. . . In fact they were thankful that I would be willing to work on this project. We are all busy in life, but sometimes just carving our some time to help feels good. 

So here I was, sitting down and engaging the problem/task that I didn't need to do and wasn't to do it. And it was glorious work. I had so much fun. 

I tried listening to my audiobook, but that didn't work. The room is too big and I don't want to broadest a Star Wars book for everyone to hear. I switched to Apple Music and thought some worship music would help, and while I enjoyed the music, I didn't really listen to it. It was like I was being drawn into some different reflection.  

Leaning into the silence for the day, I quietly worked. Moving around the space I remembered the words of my morning book: How Happiness Happens: Finding lasting Joy in a World of Comparison, Disappointment, and Unmet Expectations. The author writes these words for us: 

"Intentional encouragement has affected my life. . ."

Then he proceeds to tell a story about how a previous Senior Pastor went out of his way on every occasion to encourage the young pastor. These actions and choices of encouragement helped shape the young leader  as a preacher and care-giver. And as I thought about Max Lucado's ministry and impact on our world, I think the old preacher did help form a Christian in ways that he may not have realized initially when we offered kind words and a gentle presence. 

So back to my morning. . . As I worked I wonder why we do not take more opportunities to encourage and support each other? Why are we quick to let someone else do the work, when we could find the space and make the time, even in a very busy day, to be present and help? 

The person who will ultimately benefit from my morning of work will perhaps never know that I did this. They won't know that I was trying to be a support and encouragement in their work for Jesus as the Senior Pastor was for Max Lucado. My service will likely go un-commented upon. And I think that this is a good thing. The intentional choice to be present and serve someone else is exactly what Jesus did in his time with us on earth. Intentional encouragement can and should be a practice that we engage in. . . 

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 24

In the rush for productivity, we often rush too quickly. . . We rush to be effective and be thorough. But in doing so, we might just miss th...