Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Wonderings--June 7

Outside of sharing this blog, I don't post a lot of Facebook or any other social media platforms. As I think about my rationale for this choice, I can only conclude that I don't seem to have anything witty, interesting, or necessary to add to the communal conversation. (I know that this stance is a bit ironic since I do share my blog--which is my daily thoughts for the church--every day). . . . But that's me and that's how I feel, and that is how I act as I open my social media apps and scroll through them for a few minutes each day. 

However, I do check-in often to see what topics or issues are bubbling up to the surface of life on social media. Sometimes I chuckle at what I read and sometimes I shake my head in shock and confusion. From time to time I find a recipe that interests me or see a something that is truly beautiful looking back at me. But mostly I notice the feelings of others on social media each day and I take those wonderings to God in prayer and hope that God comes. 

The people I am 'friends' with seem upset quite often. They are frustrated. I see people who are worried for the safety of another person or wishing that our world would stop consuming itself and return to the Lord and seeking God's will for their lives. I find people on social media trying to escape the trauma of daily life by retreating to whatever their favorite platform might be. . . And again, I understand why and can sympathize with the choice.

To that end, I offer you today some words from the book I was reading as part of my devotion. The book is entitled: Holy Envy: Finding God in the Faith of Others. At the close of a chapter the author leaves the reader with the following benediction. These words were spoken after a site visit for a group of college students. As part of their class work they were visiting various houses of worship in the Atlanta area and reflecting on what they learned there. Here are the words:

"Our deepest desire is not that you become Muslim, but that you become the best Christian, the best Jew, the best person you can be. In the name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful. Thank you for coming."

These words spoken by an Iman, and they left a mark on my heart. According to the story, the Iman did not seek that the students convert to his theological worldview. In fact, this idea was never discussed in the visit. He didn't seek to brow-beat them into submission with is thoughts or commentary. 

Instead, he asked God to help them to be the best version of themselves--not the best version from his perspective, but just the best. Let God sort out for the individual who they are called to be and how they are to live faithfully. 

Our hymnal has a song that supports this point: Give of Your Best to the Master

Whether it is the hymn or this blessing, the point is clear. Be comfortable offering God the best that you can of yourself today. Work at being faithful to the revelation of God in scripture that you read and study. Spend your time in prayer and let God mold and shape you. Do not allow a social media post, or a news article, to define you or your self-worth. Instead be who God calls you to be today.

Blessings

Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 24

In the rush for productivity, we often rush too quickly. . . We rush to be effective and be thorough. But in doing so, we might just miss th...