Monday, October 5, 2020

Pastoral Thought--October 5

So what do we focus our attention upon, and how does that choice impact us throughout our daily lives? 


I have had many occasions recently to consider this question recently. It is a question that is applicable both inside the church, and outside in the culture.

This weekend our attention was likely held by the President’s diagnosis of covid-19. Maybe we are focused on the election in November and both the outcome, and application of those results. Do we wonder about the newest Supreme Court nominee and how her ‘potential’ presence will affect things like row v. wade or the Affordable Care Act? What about climate change? Rioting and Looting and the long-term impact of movements to defund the police? Racial reconciliation? On and on I could go. . . (I am sure by this point I have left something out that catches your attention).

But I wonder, if God is offering us the chance to focus our attention differently?

Let me tell you about the last 24 hours that I have experienced. At Plains we celebrated World Communion Sunday in the outdoor chapel. The service was a mixture of sun and a gentle breeze. Occasionally the tree above me ‘dive bombed’ small acorns onto the platform—thankfully none of them made contact either me, my iPad, or the Communion elements. Celebrating the sacrament in an outdoor setting was awe-inspiring. Hearing the voices of the church echo across the prayer trail and chapel-area was wonderful. But before communion I asked the young people a question whose answer I would use this morning with CNS. 

Today I am about to head into the sanctuary and lead the children of CNS in a short Bible Study. I had my own ideas about what to speak about with the CNS children, but I was curious how our young people at Plains would address the same question; how would they join me in sharing God’s word with others? I asked our youth, and the adults in the service, “If you were going to teach young children a Bible story, and you cannot use Jesus Birth, Death, or Resurrection, which story would you use, and why?” They thought about it and consulted trusted family members. . . After listening to our young people address that question, and their answers were provocative, I scrapped my plans and went another direction entirely. Today I am talking about Sammy’s suggestion which was the feeding of the 5000—a story about how God provides in unexpected ways. 

The longer I thought about the text, and considered how I would share a story of the God who provides in ways we cannot often foresee, my mind was drawn back the question that I started this post with: "What do we focus our attention upon, and how does that choice impact us throughout our daily lives?” 

As you consider the question, I would like to say that this is certainly not an attempt to minimize the seriousness of our days. There are big issues present in our world, and just symbolically ’sitting in a circle and smiling at each other’ isn’t going to fix them. It took a long time to get to this point and I suspect it will take a long time to resolve many of them. We have many meaningful conversations to engage in.  Our future might be a little uncomfortable to start off with, but if we believe that God is with us, then there is a reason to hope. But what I think living in this manner can do, and what I also think that God calls us to practice, is a posture of attention. 

Wells’ writes it this way: 

Attention is eager, intent, sharp, poised, alert—never assuming something is about to happen, but always ready should it be so. This layer makes clear that being with is a vibrant, dynamic, demanding activity, rather than a passive, static one. Attention to the other need not imply, still less require, neglect of the self: but it does assume that the flourishing of the self is not the principle reason for existence or relationship. . . [This] requires the constant attention of each partner to each other’s rhythm, energy, imagination, and direction. This is the language of loving attention,” and it is needed in our day.

I just finished the first Bible time of seven that I will do with CNS this week; it went very well. I felt God’s presence in the sanctuary as I listened to those children. I wonder, where loving attention will be needed next?? 

Blessings
Rev. Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 24

In the rush for productivity, we often rush too quickly. . . We rush to be effective and be thorough. But in doing so, we might just miss th...