Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Pastoral Thought--October 6

At the time of this post, I have read the story of the Jesus feeding the 5000 to five of the seven CNS classes. The Half-pints, nursery, and Pre-K classes are filled with wonderful children who listen so well. This afternoon will be the final two times, for this month, to read to the children. Overall, I am happy to say that it has been a wonderful experience to read and listen to them. Watching them, watch me, read blesses my soul in a way that I find hard to quantify in this email. It is beautiful. Their innocence, in a world that is not innocent often enough, is refreshing. 

But I have noticed something about the Bible story time with CNS, every time it gets easier to do and more fun. 

My first session was with the 3 year-olds on Monday morning. I was so nervous as they walked into the sanctuary. I practiced what I was going to say, and how I was going to read the story several times, but still I wondered if it would ‘work.’ Would I bore them? Was I wasting their time? 

While I should be confident in myself and my reading, my mind was filled with so many ‘what-ifs.’ The whole thing went smoothy, though. . . However, that first reading was the shortest reading to this point. Then each time that I read the story, and each time that I ask them my introductory question, “what would you take with you on a vacation,” I found that I enjoy it more and more. I am having more and more fun. 

The total time that I spent with the first class was just over 5 minutes—which was the target. Now, having finished with group #5, the session timed out at 9 minutes. This makes me wonder if the last two readings this afternoon might just top 10 minutes each? I don’t know, and I don’t have any expectations. Again, I am enjoying ‘being with’ the children of CNS. While I cannot see their smiles under the masks, their eyes tell me that they are having fun and that they are enjoying 'being with' me. There is an obvious correlation to my story, and the thoughts that I have shared with you recently. 

We need to devote the time. 

In a polarizing world, with difficult conversations and responses happening all around us, we as the Body of Christ are called to be different. We are called to linger with others when no one else wants to. As we listen, we are then called to take what we learn by ‘being with’ the people of world, and serve and care for them. This what Jesus did and also what He invited us to do after his Ascension. As Christians we need to devote the time, even when we don’t think that we have any to offer. Because if we do something might just happen, as it did with CNS, that changes the whole interactions 

Tolstoy, ascribed these words in General Kutuzov in his book, War and Peace, the general says: 

By believe me, my dear boy, there is nothing stronger than those two: patience and time, they will do it all.” Tolstoy goes on to say again, “We can only lose by taking the offensive. Patience and time are my warriors, my champions."

I wonder what could happen if patience and time were how we encountered our community? Could you find a way to devote more time to the conversation? What would happen if we stood outside of the hustle and bustle of the day, stood outside the judgment and criticisms that is so often presented, and devoted the necessary amounts of patience and time to ‘be with’ the community?  

Blessings
Rev. Derek

1 comment:

  1. Good morning, Reverend. This is Claudia Cantrell - one of your mom’s friends from college days. I’ve been reading your Pastoral Thoughts. They’re wonderful! Figured I better take some time this morning & let you know I’ve seen them & appreciate your thoughts & findings. You do your mom & dad proud. Even though you’re not able to “see” your dad’s proud smile, I’m confident that it’s there. ☺️ God bless your day. Claudia~

    ReplyDelete

I Wonder--April 24

In the rush for productivity, we often rush too quickly. . . We rush to be effective and be thorough. But in doing so, we might just miss th...