Thursday, April 13, 2023

I Wonder--April 13

So today, which admittedly has been quite hectic, I am wondering about how grace manifests itself in our lives? How is grace lived out--or how it is practiced? 

Over the last couple days Emma has had some car issues. And while my defense mechanism for situations like this is to rib or harass the individual (Emma), and thereby lower the stress of the situation, I knew that it was not the time or place for that behavior. She needed grace from me, and I would need that same grace soon from her. . . 

Pulling up next to her in Jimmy's truck I could see the emotion on her face. Her car would not move and she did not understand why. Rationally she could not solve the issue, and emotionally it was too much for her.

Over the next 24-hours the situation with her car got worse. More warning lights came on. We are looking at some significant work that needs to be done to fix the issue with Emma's car. And while I know that this is not the end of the world, watching my 18-year-old daughter try to figure out how to be adaptable and flexible when she does not understand what is happening has been hard. 

Turns out she will need to be dropped off at work at odd times and have to wait for her shift to start because I have to take Jennifer to Pineville for her job. Today Emma will have to go in before her sift and stay a bit longer than scheduled. Again, grace is needed. 

I am not an all-seeing parent (that is God). But I knew last night that things today were going to be a bit tricky. So we sat down together, the three of us, and we tried to map out a solution that would get everyone to work on-time, and home, for the next few days. Practically this will work, but emotionally it only works because Jennifer, Emma, and I are giving each other grace. We are practicing grace in a situation that none of us wanted or expected. 

So back to my initial question: in your life how is grace manifested? 

We know that God's grace is sufficient for us, but what about the human grace that needs to live in us? I wonder how you might practice grace differently with those around you who are enduring a hard season themselves? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 24

In the rush for productivity, we often rush too quickly. . . We rush to be effective and be thorough. But in doing so, we might just miss th...