Monday, April 24, 2023

I Wonder--April 24

Let me share with you a little spiritual practice that I engaged in this morning. . . It revolves around an Oreo. 

My morning began promptly at 8am as I opened the church office for the day. Before I could set down my bag, or place my coffee on my desk, or even get the lights on and the heat bumped up, I noticed that my 8am meeting had arrived. This was less of a meeting than most--pest control arrived. 

After speaking with Anthony for a moment about our needs, and enjoying some small talk, I headed back to my desk where my steaming coffee still sat in my black mug waiting for me. Sighing I opened my laptop, plugged in my iPhone, reached for my Bible and journal, and get ready to face the day. This is a new week and it is already shaping up to be another busy one. 

There are calls to make. Visits to schedule with members who cannot physically attend worship. I need to check on a couple of other items around the property. My robe and books need to be put back into their home until next Sunday when I will need them again. Mentally I run through the list of people and places from last week that I deal with--anything left undone? I have some preparations for meetings on Tuesday and Wednesday to start and I need to think about Bible study for Thursday evening.  

But I long for another quiet minute. . . Perhaps like me you know what that longing feels like? 

Opening my desk drawer I find a small ziplock bag with 2 Oreos. Smiling I pick them up. There is never a bad time to enjoy an Oreo and I suspect that God reminded me of them for this very moment. 

The first one I dunk into my coffee; the second I just enjoy as it is. And as I enjoy them, I breathe deeply. I savor the practice and I savor the moment. Any conflict, any tension, any pressure, any expectation, gone as I enjoy the Oreos. 

That short mini-reboot is all that I needed. I have learned that it is often all any of us need. Just a moment to thank God for the gift of a Double Stuff Oreo and how the 30 seconds it took to enjoy was all I needed. In fact, it is often all any of us need. . . just the next moment to be with God. 

I wonder today how you might find that extra moment? That Oreo-moment? I wonder how it might help? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Wonder--April 24

In the rush for productivity, we often rush too quickly. . . We rush to be effective and be thorough. But in doing so, we might just miss th...